PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cavendish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2013
So I decided to open up the vents on my Brigham's this morning. First one went good. Second one, not so good. My newest pipe (had it maybe 3wks) My Voyaguer 'Acron' style bowl. Everything was lined up perfect, I start drilling and out the bottom she came :x I cussed a couple times, still bummed about it even now. It is a $38 lesson learned. I am off to pick another one up tomorrow morning, I just hope they have another of the same style. I really like the large acorn style bowl. Fits my big hands well.

wildcat

Jan 1, 2012
plug it with a small cherry dowel, sand smooth and refinish. Never had to do this with one before, but this is probably how I'd repair it myself.
+1

Aug 14, 2012
Or just tape it. I smoked a meerschaum with tape on the bottom for a good 30 years. Not pretty, but it will smoke as good.

piperl12

Apr 7, 2012
My father used body filler. No he died of something unrelated! LOL Seriously though he had some hideous pipes. Black electrical tape keeping the stem attached if the shank split, body filler patches in the bottom if it burned out.

piperl12

Apr 7, 2012
@Mike that is a most excellent idea regarding rebuilding the edges of a molding. I have some crown molding that got damaged at the lumber mill that will need to be painted. I think I might just give that a try! Thanks!

hfearly

Oct 11, 2012
Canada
You can actually repair a hole in the bottom of the bowl.
Cut out a piece of briar wood in the same shape as the drill-through. Make it quite thin (1/5th the bowl diameter). Tape it in from the inside of the bowl. Then from the other side fill in heat resistant super glue mixed with briar dust. Let dry thoroughly. When it's dry, carefully remove the tape inside the bowl and put in a layer of pipe mud at the bottom. Let dry for 3-4 days. Put in a second layer of pipe mud. Let dry again. Then restain the underside, wax, buff, and you shouldn't be able to spot the repair at all.
I'll admit it's an awful lot of work for a Brigham, but it's well worth doing if you find, say, a 1920s Dunhill root briar at a flea market :)

cavendish

Jan 22, 2013
I wasn't paying attention when I was doing it. I was talking with the wife and worrying about some other stuff while working on it, and I was in a hurry as I was leaving for work. I normally dont use a drill I do it by hand, but I was rushing and paid the concequences for it. I'm not worried about reparing it right away. I might send it out as it has a carved/blasted finish on the bowl.
I just got back from picking up my new pipe. A Brigham Algonquin #209 'apple' shape bowl. It's not as big as the acorn but it fits in my hand nicely. While I was there they had a nice price on a Brigham Chinook #426 that'd I'd been eyening up online for some time. So I picked them both up and she gave me $10 off for buying both! I'm smoking the chinook right now and it is a nice smoking pipe! I will post some pics once I figure out how to get them off my phone onto the computer then onto here.

Status
Not open for further replies.