PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
I bought this a few days ago, buy it now, for $20. Although not my favorite style, this little gem had seen very little use. The "snowflake" was not worn at all, the nomenclature crisp, and the bowl barely used. I own 4 other old Kriswills and they are great smokers. It arrived today...............In a 5X7 padded envelope..........In two pieces...........but not in two pieces like it should be :cry: The seller was not a pipe guy, and didn't know better, but from now on, I'm going to send a little note instructing these sellers how to pack/ship. This is the second time this has happened. Would'nt want it to happen to a 300 dollar Dunhill! I just emailed the seller- all should be ok, probably send this out for a tenon replacement, but this all COULD have been easily prevented.

Jan 8, 2013
That's unfortunate. I would have a few more exclamation marks in my Argh! Hopefully by emailing the seller about the problem he will fix the issue, and at least be more careful with future pipes and take it as a lesson learned.

natenice1

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2014
Nice pipe, as you said it all could have been prevented! You can usually tell inexperienced sellers, I do the same thing give instructions for proper wrapping. Hey it was still $20 and a little more a nice addition to your Kriswell collection an probably a great smoker too. :D

jarit

Can't Leave
Jul 2, 2013
Ouch, I'm sorry to hear this.
It has happened to me too. Actually the other pipe was a Kriswill Golden Clipper,as well. Another was a Stanwell flame grain. Two pipes sent in an unpadded envelope and both had snapped tenons. After my protests the seller finally reimbursed me, but it felt like such a stupid waste anyways. I should get them repaired.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
I've had it happen, same thing, in a padded envelope. Contact the seller, at least he/she can learn from their mistake. Great looking pipe! Have a new tenon done. I agree, Kriswill's are fine smokers.
Dave

bwithers55

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 17, 2012
I always inwardly cringe when a pipe arrives that has not been shipped in a box. -bw

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Shipping a pipe in an envelope is like shipping a violin in an envelope. You'll get it, but you'll not be able to play it.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Hmmm... I've never smoked duct tape! What does it taste like? Can't be any worse than Ennerdale! lol

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
Priority Small Flat Rate Box comes with Tracking, Delivery Confirmation, and .... INSURANCE up to $50. All included in the $5.25 if purchased and printed online. Thats what I use and Ive never had to call the USPS insurance claim department.
I used to try and save on shipping for the buyer by sending parcel but with no delivery confirmation a recipient once said he didnt get the item. Paypal refunded his money since I couldnt prove delivery. I lost the money, $70 and two Scripto Vu-Lighters as well as my time spent refurbishing them.
Lessons learned, Priority Small Flat Rate box since. Probably deters a dishonest postman too since it can be traced a lot easier.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Shipping a pipe in an envelope is like shipping a violin in an envelope. You'll get it, but you'll not be able to play it

That is so true Phil! Good One.

The seller refunded full amount, was very cordial about it. I think she learned from this.

Still from now on I'm going to request shipping in a box. Sounds like this is a fairly common problem. Well now its off to Tim West for a new tenon.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Beef:
It's not just the Bay sellers but please include pipers here as well. I swap a lot of burners and smokes with folks on this forum and the way some pipes are shipped astonishes me.
I don't do the prettiest packages, but when a pipe leaves my house it's broken down, each piece is bubble wrapped and the damned thing exits in a box. It won't be cleaned and reamed and there will more than likely be some of my DNA on the mouthpiece. (Most days, you get it like I found it - and maybe after I've burned through a bowl or two to see if it fits.)
I'm so sorry this happened, but after the refund - and whatever Mr. West charges you for the repair - you're going to have a beautiful skater that I'll envy. With shipping it'll more than likely be double what you originally paid and that sucks, but it's still a well made burner that you'll be able to pass along to your grandkids.
This will be a great pipe with an even greater story behind it, my friend.
Fnord

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
I don't do the prettiest packages, but when a pipe leaves my house it's broken down, each piece is bubble wrapped and the damned thing exits in a box.

AMEN Brother!! The way the post office is, I would NEVER send a pipe in anything but a box! All is well with this one though, full refund, and I thin Tim charges about 20-25 for a tenon. Tim's place is about 4 miles from me, so I'll drop it off in person, save the shipping charges. I'm one of those guys though that like my things all original...... Oh Well, S%#t Happens.

Fnord, you like the skater style? This is my first, but I have other Kriswills that smoke GREAT.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
I once had a customer who collected Danish Ben Wade Freehand pipes. He said he was now smoking traditional shapes and would I sell the Ben Wade pipes for him (he had 26 of them to sell). I said sure. He asked the best way to ship them. I said to please make sure the stems are removed from the shanks to prevent breakage. I should have been more specific. A week later 26 Ben Wade pipes arrived with 26 stems wrapped together in one plastic baggie. The pipes were shipped about a year ago and should be on my eBay site soon. I'd chat longer but need to get back to matching Ben Wade stems to Ben Wade pipes. :(
Pipeilovepuzzlesstud

Aug 1, 2012
Uneducated sellers have been both my greatest ally and worst enemy. I've gotten $30 dunhills and $30 broken Dr. Grabows from them.

virginiacob

Can't Leave
Dec 30, 2013
It's amazing to me the way some inexperienced eBay sellers improperly package items to ship through the mail. Besides pipes, I'm an avid Civil War collector and enthusiast and although you have to really be careful buying historic militaria, especially Civil War, through eBay, on occasion I can spot a real gem. About a year ago I had a seller selling a dug Confederate "I" (infantry) button on eBay that still had a small remnant of the jacket fabric still sewn to the button shank. I was thrilled to get the winning bid on it and anxiously awaited its arrival. When it arrived at the P.O., I was immediately concerned as I found it shipped in a "padded" envelope rather than in a box. My fears were soon realized when I opened the envelope and found that this historic button had literally been crushed and pulverized by something heavy having apparently been placed over the envelope during shipment. Needless to say I was not a happy camper and immediately contacted the seller. The seller was nice about it and seemed genuinely horrified when she realized what had happened and reimbursed me for the button. It was still a real shame though that an historic artifact that had survived in the ground for decades after the War would meet its end due to poor packaging that could have easily been averted.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Beef: I've never had a skater but I love Danish pipes. After Mr. West does his mojo and sprinkles the faerie dust I know you're going to love yours.
Steve: You're dumping 25 of the poor man's Preben Holm's on the market?
Good! Maybe I'll find another one I like.
Virginiacob: I know how much you CW collectors covet unusual buttons and that really is a damned shame. Glad the seller stepped up and did the right thing but I'm truly sorry for your loss - and it really is a loss. One hundred and fifty years in the ground and it gets hammered to hell and gone by twenty copies of "Fifty Shades of Gray" or the mower deck of a Craftsman riding mower? Not fair!
Fnord

Status
Not open for further replies.