PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
Some of you have some extravagant spending limits and many more years on me in acquiring pipes and tobaccos. I on the other hand have a bit more modest means, though mine could be considered extravagant by other folks standards. In the little more than a year I have been smoking pipes I have accumulated 15 pipes (I've had others but some I let go of and others that came in lots I cleaned and sold) and over 6 lbs of tobacco on hand.
6 lbs is probably @peck's typical weekend order. My cabinet doesn't have much space -and like others- I would get murdered (or worse my cabinet would be thrashed) if I stepped outside those boundaries and expanded.
I'm happy with where I'm at and what I've put in there. I need to purge some of the smaller jars I have from my first 6 months or so. I mean, how much better can over a year old 1Q really be?
So below are the photos from where I started and where I am at after a year (year and 4 months, actually). It is crazy to think how much space I once had last Fall and how little I have now. This next year I am going to need this cabinet to take me far as I won't be making many contributions to it after my second KBB YB Chesterfield shows up next week.
*Not pictured is my practically full medium sized humidor, which now has close to 50 cigars in it.
August 2013

photo-600x448.jpg

November 2014

image16-600x450.jpg

**Even the surroundings of the outside of the cabinet looks different**
August 2013

stash3-447x600.jpg

November 2014

img_1922-450x600.jpg

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
Thanks. Oh I know there are many ways to continue the growth, but I like keeping things centralized. My cabinet has a bigger brother which I almost bought ... and now wish I had. I really liked the slide bar plus this one fit in my car.

oldreddog

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 4, 2014
Softly softly catchee monkey cmdrmcbragg!!
Its great to see the progression of your collection, I have enough to get by and sometimes I have a little extra to spend so I'm grateful for that, and consider myself lucky in that regard.
Although sometimes the impatience for the next pad/tad day is hard to bear. :)

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
cmdrmcbragg:
Good show, Sir! What was that line from the movie "Field of Dreams"? "Build it and they will come." In reality this works with pipes, pipe-tobacco, and tobacciana; not so much with deceased baseball players.
I'm curious as to what is the cone-topped can on the middle shelf of the wall unit? I'm guessing it once contained beer or some similar beverage.
oldreddog:
"Softly, softly, catchee monkey." Lord Baden-Powell?

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Thanks for sharing the "where I was" and "where I am" shots with us. I have been considering doing the same my meager collection. There's something about the end of the year which makes me want to take stock, look back on the collection in January and compare it to where it is today.
I love your cabinet, cutter and vintage tins. That's a real nice set-up you have going there. I'm battling my lack of space. All my gear lives in an old IKEA dresser in my workshop. It isn't very pretty.
-- Pat

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
@hunter, the cone topped can is Old Topper Snappy Ale. I built the shelf with old fence slats so I had somewhere to put the tobacco tins I had acquired. The two jars on top are blends I didn't care for that I blended together based on similar properties ... so I may try them again someday in the future and see what they have become. There is also a tobacco knife on the top of the shelf.
One thing I love about this site is seeing all the different approaches to storing, displaying everyone's pipes, jars, tins, tobacciana, etc.
I figured others like that kind of stuff as well so I wanted to post the "before and after" of my last year. My stash began in the small cabinet above the microwave, which now just houses all my pipe cleaning gear and other assorted stuff.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Nice ... I always love "before and after" shots.
Good idea with the panel-board separators for the smaller jars too!

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
@cobguy, those smaller jars just don't stack for shit otherwise.
@ae1pt, I do know that, sir. Just one of those things where I wish I could, but know I can't and accept it just fine. My fiancé thinks I have too much. I told her "you should see some of these other guys." It works just fine for me though. I just wished I had bought the bigger version of this cabinet. Had twice the space.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
"Nice! I like the bookshelves too, I wouldn't mind getting one like that for my abode."
It's obvious that cmdrmcbragg's shelf has buckled under the weight of all those books. In an effort to be helpful I will be pleased to take off of his hands (at no charge) any that pertain to pipes and/or tobaccos. With the load thus relieved perhaps he can then straighten it out.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
@hunter, I only have two tobacco related books up there. One about pipe smoking and the other about cigars. That bookshelf only cost me $25 at American Furniture Warehouse.
@bloodwood, thanks. My fiance and I are both into antiques/rustic stuff. Which is one of the few things we agree on, lol.

jmatt

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 25, 2014
I think it's pretty cool that there's not really any #$%^ measuring contests with pipes and tobacco. There's no "correct" way to obtain and smoke pipes or tobacco. So whether one collects and polishes up old $10 pipes, or acquires $1,000 artisan pipes or has pipes specifically commissioned for him or herself - it's all good. Likewise, whether you're hunting down Penzance or smoking Captain Black, it's all good.
Nice collection of pipes and tobacco sir. Enjoy it all!!

Status
Not open for further replies.