PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Took the kids to see this yesterday. The whole family has read the book and seen the first movie that came out years ago. It's a great film. Oprah, Chris Pine and Storm Ried really rocked this out. Disney did a disservice to the theme of this story. They left out the anti-Collectivism and anti-equality messages the book conveys. The individualism piece was left intact and served the viewer well. Movies can't be done by the books completely, otherwise you have a long and drawn out miniseries. I think this movie will be a great springboard to read the book, if the viewer hasn't read it. I score this one 31/2 out of 5 stars.

lazar

Can't Leave
May 5, 2015
Yeah... I can't see the commercial or cultural advantages of 21st century Disney promoting anti-equality. I haven't read the book since I was a kid, though, so don't remember such themes. But that may account for why I didn't enjoy it all that much.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Yea the book displays the dangers of everyone being the same and having everything handed to them in the cradle of an oppressive Evil. It champions the individual and how everyone of us is unique. A very important lesson for children and society.
What you are referring to as equality Lazar is equal opportunity. To different things all together.
Sable this was worth seeing. At times a very beautiful movie.

lazar

Can't Leave
May 5, 2015
Gotcha, and agree. So was it intended as a commentary on the Soviet Union? I may re-read it then see the movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.