PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mahew

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 30, 2017
Kentucky Hills and Hollers
I feel that I must share a most wonderful experience. This past Saturday my son and I made the hour long trek to go to Paul’s Pipe Shop and Pipe Hospital in Flint, MI. This was the first time that either of us had been there. Upon walking in, we were a bit overwhelmed with where to begin. It wasn’t long however before a fine gentleman came out from behind the counter to help us. I am certain that he sensed we had no idea where to start. I was later informed that the store had just shy of a million pipes on hand! An astounding collection of pipes indeed!
My son and I each picked out a pipe we liked, but wanted to continue looking. The gentleman helping us, took the pipes with him to clean them up for us (not that they needed it) as we kept looking around. The pipes we chose were Cayuga Pipes, which are made right there in the store. It seemed fitting to us that we support this local pipe maker and his shop. As we were looking around, someone came in off the streets, and stole the very pipe that my son had chosen. Apparently the gentleman from the store set it down and turned around for a moment, then shortly after realized that it was gone. This was of course, a very unfortunate turn of events for all involved. After we all recovered from this shocking turn of events, we did find a very similar pipe and moved forward.
Now the real fun began. In the course of our discussion, being a hobbyist woodworker myself, I had expressed an interest in how he made his pipes. To our surprise, the gentleman helping us offered to give us a tour of his workshop. Which for us was a real treat, and in itself made our visit an extraordinary experience. We visited every nook and cranny of his workshop and storage areas. And I mean we saw everything! (I do suggest calling these guys and finding out what they have to offer via mail.) This story, however, doesn’t end there.
The three of us then made our way to Paul’s Pipe Museum. The museum was centered around the 6-time World’s Pipe Smoking Champion, Paul Spaniola, and the things he collected through the years. Which by now we had discovered was this gentleman’s father. It was comprised of a large area upstairs, filled with pipe memorabilia, and we had a private tour! He then took the time to show us some beautiful pieces from his own personal pipe collection.
I must say that the experience we had was unforgettable. I would guess that we spent at least an hour on this tour, and chatting. I have never felt so welcomed by any store anywhere, particularly on a first visit there. And, I am certain that we will be back to visit again. My son and I didn’t just purchase a couple of pipes, we came home with something so much more. My son has not yet smoked his first pipe, and maybe he never will. He will however have a piece of a moment in time. That I believe he will always treasure. For that I have to give a heartfelt and hearty thank you to the gentleman that made that happen, Dan Spaniola of Paul’s Pipe Shop and Pipe Hospital.

Jan 8, 2013
I've heard of those Cayuga pipes. Oil cured, correct? I understand they're one of the few still oil curing. I hear they smoke great. It sounds like a trip to remember. :clap:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
What a great experience. I'd feel like I was in a dream. Flint has had an incredibly hard time with its compromised water system, so it is a mark of strength that the shop can stay open and remain productive. The pipes sound terrific. Do they sell online? Amazing. Sorry about the theft -- I hope they don't lose many that way.
Yep, here he is: http://iapsc.net/html/pauls.html

mahew

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 30, 2017
They are indeed oil cured. I haven’t smoked mine yet, so I couldn’t say how good it is. I am saving it for when my son smokes his for the first time. I am thinking that I will get another though, just in case he waits too long!
I definitely suggest giving them a call. I believe they have some bulk options.

mahew

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 30, 2017
Maybe I am just a silver lining kind of person, but I believe that the “scumbag thief” was the catalyst for the rest of the experience. While it is easy to focus on the negative, that negative moment was likely the reason for one of the more positive things that I have ever experienced. We here can show that good triumphs. Just call the shop and place an order, tell them it’s because you heard about an extraordinary day. If several people do that, we send a message that we care, and that shops like this one matter. That we will not allow one bad apple to ruin things for the rest of us!
Just my two pennies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The Cayuga pipes at the site look really good, simple traditional shapes with handsome finishes. Impressive, and reasonably priced.

midwestpipesmoker70

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2011
IL
Wow, what a great story. Neither of you will ever forget this day. I think it all happened the way it was supposed to happen. It is so wonderful to be able to share a moment in a hobby/passion of yours with your child. I hope some day you both have a special moment lighting up those pipes for the first time. And if not, well neither of you will forget and every time that either of you look at your pipes you will be taken back to an incredible memory. This story made my day.

mahew

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 30, 2017
I agree, nice shapes and reasonably priced. I am planning to go back in a couple of weeks to pick up another pipe. Maybe a pre-drilled block or two of briar to play with. And likely several different tobaccos to test out. But then...I am sort of an addict....
I am glad that my story made someone’s day. It certainly made mine. Shops such as this one, carrying darn near a 100 year history are becoming extinct, and I am hopeful that this helps them in some small way. I would like them to be around for another 100 years!

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Nice, excepting the thief. I'd love to take a peek into the workshop of a maker like that. I live near Boswells, but they don't let customers anywhere near the workshop.

Status
Not open for further replies.