A Women Walks Into a Cigar and Tobacco Shop...Whaaat?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lono96

Lurker
Apr 8, 2013
Today I finally went to my local Cigars and Tobacco store, first time ever...

When I came in four men where smoking away chatting. Here comes me z french women...

The owner asked me how he could help me, I told him that I was looking to get a couple of Tobacco blends to sample and a Meerschaum corn cob pipe. (no crap from china please...No offense)

I picked two kind of tobacco and he picked one for me, I asked him to surprise me since he knows his stuff. One is called cocoa delight the other is BLWB one special blend I guess and the last one #1 OMG the second one I just tried was amazing using my new corn cob. It burned deliciously I had a great smoke.

While I was talking with the owner he told me that he took a lot of guts to come in look around and shop alone, not too many women would do that (I am a Marine Corps Wife you learn to deal). That was a nice compliment I gladly accepted it. He was kind and greatly helpful, and so where the crowd there smoking they where giving him a hard for being so nice to me lol

I'm truly enjoying the experience and the community.

Thanks for reading.

God bless you.

Jul 15, 2011
Its unfortunate that I have to do most of my business online because my local Brick and Mortar store is almost an hour away. Still, when I make it over that way, its really nice to chat with the older gents in the cigar lounge and every once in a while a younger college kid (the store is in a college town) stops in and theres always nice conversation. I think I have yet to see a woman in there, there arent a lot of women that frequent the shop. Glad to hear that your new adventure is enjoyable thus far, that BLWB is very similar to Scottys Butternut Burley, one of my all time favorite blends. Soft and easy smoking, lightly aromatic, great stuff. Thanks for sharing!

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
Not sure who puts up with more crap in the military, the Marine or his wife.
Good job Frenchie, I am glad that you are enjoying this experience and hopefully you are getting tons of info from this site.
Give your husband a big OOH-RAH for me.
Semper Fi,
Dan

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
My wife has taken over the purchase of my pipes. She loves the sculptural feel and look (she studied art for 5 years, guess she knows something about it). I've noticed that she is showing interest in the purchase of tobacco, she doesn't smoke, but she loves the smell.
I think that a lot of women are behind the scenes, nice to see one in front.

misterrogers

Can't Leave
May 16, 2011
Ohio
My local B&M, Pipes and Pleasures of Columbus Ohio, is owned by the lovely Roswitha Anderson. Beside her though, women are an extremely rare occurrence. I've seen the occasional wife come in picking up some tobacco for the husband or even a fellow dragging in the girlfriend when he picks up a cigar. But for the most part, women are a rare sight (except for a framed picture of Giada De Laurentiis, which seems very out of place).
It's always nice to hear the view of a smoke shop from a different prospective. So thanks for posting, it was very interesting to read.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Lono96 ... I wish to extend a belated "Welcome Aboard".

And, to thank you and your Marine for your service too our country, my family, and me.

All too often the military family is overlooked... when thanking our Service Members.

Not too be overly maudlin, I remember what my mother went through whenever my Dad was deployed...
Over the years, I have met a number of "Lady Pipers" at my local B&M.

Kay, while not a smoker is very knowledgable. She's been working with her husband at The Briary for many years.

I think she is one reason there seems to be as many women smoking pipes as there are here.
Semper Fi

:puffy:

hfearly

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 11, 2012
Canada
Everyone who has shopped for their better half at a Lingerie store like La Senza knows the feeling ;-)

lono96

Lurker
Apr 8, 2013
@ hfearly: Your comment made laugh out loud! That was exactly the feeling.

The shop is called Cigar Grotto in San Diego county, it's a great place.

Thank you for you all your inputs and encouragements.

Happy smoking everyone

God bless
Perfume and incense bring joy to the heart, and the pleasantness of one's friend springs from his earnest counsel.

Proverb 27:9

cm2ras

Lurker
Apr 9, 2013
Lono, I'm a Navy Seabee so please pass along a OOOH-RAH and Semper Fi to your Devil Dog for me.
Also my local B&M The Squire is owened and operated by a woman who really knows her stuff. Glad to hear you found some new blends and cobb you enjoy. :puffpipe:

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
Just got home from work and SURPRISE ! My wife was out shopping in Tacoma where we have the one and only Tinderbox left in Washington. She stopped in, met the owner, had a "lovely chat" and bought two aromatics for me to try: Tinderbox Sunset and Mango Tango. She was motivated by the smell and the names, but what the heck!

hfearly

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 11, 2012
Canada
I like the Tacoma Tinderbox. Probably the only good pipe store I found in the Seattle area :) Tinderbox sells Lane's 1Q under their local name "Wilshire" btw., I liked it better than Sunset.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
Thanks for the tip - my wife decided on Sunset because it didn't leave a bitter aftertaste - but we'll plan a field trip since it's quite a distance from my house, and I'll give Wilshire a try.
They are starting to carry Petes, have a small selection right now, but expanding.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
Our local B&M in Asheville, B&B Tobacco, was Bruces Pipe Shop when I started going there 25+ years ago, Bruce left us & then his wife ran it for years till she left us, now their son runs it, constant turn over of wonderful Family people, But Mom did a wonderful job for many years. She knew her stuff!

bigboi

Lifer
Nov 12, 2012
Plateauguy your in washington? Where a bouts? I am also in washington.
Oh and Lono I am glad to see more women taking interest in this great hobby. I wish my wife would get more interested in it.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I forgot about Greentree Tobacco in South Jersey. Ruth Weiss, an English woman is the owner. She is there daily.

http://www.greentreetobacco.net/about_us.html

rockypatel_ruth1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.