PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 31, 2012
I'm a sucker for old pipe boxes.

I know they serve no real purpose and are mostly only of aesthetic value,

but the romance is too much for me to resist.
People usually pay a bit more when the complete old package is there.
Some of the boxes are actually more rare than the pipes!
On with the image overload!

:!:

QRE3b7y.jpg

skDi8vW.jpg

L7mV5ei.jpg

yGkwBYR.jpg

PP1hss0.jpg

VSjMoLB.jpg

3d1DOB7.jpg

QezE2my.jpg

npFvk86.jpg

PDJYkYB.jpg

9eHwy9M.jpg

MorGTFJ.jpg

knIboEH.jpg

YCd2hfx.jpg

YD9IjJy.jpg

ete4lH8.jpg

Wrd35AZ.jpg

5xZV83Z.jpg

rhzhR4a.jpg

vm0HMs4.jpg

Ic73JTT.jpg

uRu8uSv.jpg

wcMoCQy.jpg

8QBG5zp.jpg

luPRVxV.jpg

ikQ1CrB.jpg

ZadCEx9.jpg

3Kfirk7.jpg

1tQiMHM.jpg

11ssNvf.jpg

gVxHDEw.jpg

hYsD8gP.jpg

Uu6HyZU.jpg

AjfbQco.jpg

yPzwOzV.jpg

TQ2ucTw.jpg

XaY8Cg6.jpg

ZW8XBtQ.jpg

KYwRmOG.jpg

UMsS9qx.jpg

WyN6mdE.jpg

yiMnu9F.jpg

ul0nE8y.jpg

gctd0Ol.jpg

bteqTIx.jpg

uwlWvs7.jpg

GsygWmo.jpg

ggUpFx7.jpg

Y2S9C1f.jpg

ifhXTWe.jpg

Ddy7pnb.jpg

mxLe3yu.jpg

fOYXy7V.jpg

SlOAV1C.jpg

rqJb4LX.jpg

r9llATU.jpg

P1IE8MV.jpg

EGu4URZ.jpg

uYsSpYG.jpg

7RZU3Zc.jpg

IQKkmgr.jpg

x5Ph20i.jpg

Yhk0CXx.jpg

CJ47UPn.jpg

jarit

Can't Leave
Jul 2, 2013
Very nice, thanks for posting!
Lovely graphic design in many of these.

mrjerke

Lifer
Jun 10, 2013
Midwest
Nice post MLC. Cool to see that stuff.
Not to hijack this thread but if anyone has a link to the tobacco pictures thread will you PM me? I could look at that for days.

lifeon2

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 19, 2012
denver co
Nice collection there sir I bought 2 old boxes at an estate sale I need to dig them out as I dont recall which company they are but I didnt see them in these pictures if you are interested I can send you one of them as I have 2 and you seem a little more into the boxes than me.

May 31, 2012
These aren't mine, I don't have enough money to go crazy with the collecting but I have an intense interest, so I satisfy that drive with collecting images, mostly from auction sites because of the ephemeral nature they're only around for a limited time frame and I put 'em all on file that grab my eyes. I do have a couple of these boxes and I have bought empty boxes in the past, sometimes if I come across a box I'll buy it as a talisman to bring me a pipe I don't have LOL and it's worked too!
I've yet to be to a pipe show but I look forward to the day I do, i imagine seeing all kind of great stuff like this in the flesh and meeting alotta like-minded folk. I've only been with pipe a couple of years so many aspects are still new to me and I'm totally enthused by it all.
Thanks for your kind offer lifeon2, but I don't wanna hafta make you dig 'em out.
Ah, the good 'ol picture thread, needs a pic of Gaslight innit now!

Here it is mrjerke,

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/pictures-of-pipe-tobacco
Like everything else in the postmodern world, we don't get the deluxe treatment anymore much, these old boxes have some great designs and kinda parallel the old lithographic tins too, things of beauty I think.

rockymtnsmoker

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
Love the historical journey those boxes take you on. Could make for a cool poster! I would definitely pay a little more for an estate pipe that came with the original packaging.

gtclark

Oct 3, 2013
Misterlowercase, as always another great post! I always look forward to seeing what you've unearthed.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Excellent thread! I love old pipe boxes, but only have a few. This GBD "Seventy-Six" box came with one of my bulldogs.

This Peterson "Sterling" 999 came with this box and paperwork, which really helped ID the time frame from when it was made (1955-1961).

James Upshall Box & Lifetime Guarantee

Savinelli Autograph Box & Wrap, I found this at a yard sale for $1, sadly sans pipe....

A local pipe buddy found this unsmoked Dunhill at a Virginia shop, on way to the Richmond show this past October. $15....

durham270

(Bailey's Briar)
Jan 30, 2013
Kentucky
Very nice!! Enjoyed looking at all of those. Thanks bunches for taking the time to post all those wonderful images.

4dotsasieni

Jan 6, 2013
Wow! Those bring back some good memories, especially the Barling "Ye Olde Wood" and the box that says "You Are About to Experience......." I think that was a Comoy's? I'm pretty sure I have one stashed away somewhere, but I'd have to tear the house apart to find it.
Thanks for posting these.

jazz

Feb 17, 2014
UK
Marvellous thread. I sure wish packaging was still like a lot of these. I especially wish they would leave the packaging which at least tries to look like this alone. In other words stop writing that smoking kills crap all over my Rattray's tins of tobacco please whoever you are.

Status
Not open for further replies.