PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

snowyowl

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2015
I couldn't resist this Wessex: leaning forward with soft finish and plenty of birdseye, trending toward that leather-look. Ordered from somewhere deep in the Black Forest (or maybe Berlin).

Everyman, everday priced; 9mm, my preference.

Searching the Forums, I found some interest in the Wessex line of pipes, but no acquisitions. So:

Reactions: crazyhog

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I have a Wessex shape # 601 bulldog I purchased from P&C. It's a great little smoker (only 5.4 inches long). No beautiful grain like yours, since it's a sandblast, and instead of the "W" stem logo, it has a black and brass rondel on the stem. Yours is a looker!

theloniousmonkfish

Jan 1, 2017
Shape, stem, grain, color, I like it all. Nice acquisition, congrats.
"Very nice grain on that Snowy but I think a buff up with carnauba wax would really set it off."
Some people like a matte sheen on most or all their pipes. Possibly because their hands will smudge/smear/wipe off carnauba, I can't have that stuff on anything.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"Possibly because their hands will smudge/smear/wipe off carnauba, I can't have that stuff on anything."
Very good point there. I have buffed & polished many of my pipes only to have them go dull on me so very rarely do so now. I just thought it would have been nice to have seen Snowy's pipe with a nice shine to it.
Regards,
Jay.

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
Superbly magnificent pipe!! AND a 9mm to boot! Snowyowl, I'm a 9mm man myself and frequently get frustrated with the dearth of really pretty 9mm pipes in the American market. Yours is GORGEOUS! Love the birdseye and satiny finish!

Reactions: crazyhog

snowyowl

Oct 21, 2015
Fired up the Wessex.
Nice to see all the interest generated by a new, soft-finished, birdseye, yet inexpensive ($75USD, including shipping from eBay.de) and not-much-talked-about briar type.
Without thinking (although what would Freud say), I prepared some Germain's Special Latakia Flake for the maiden voyage: Deep EU find; now in the States. Even though the stain is dark, from the feel of the bowl, this pipe will darken a bit from the touch of my thumb and finger.
I did take in mawnansmiff thoughts. Not with the overall finish: that would have been wrong, in my mind. My pipe. I made a quick, high speed surface pass on the rim with my buffing wheel and block of carnauba... just a bit a protection from initially smoking the rim, dark. Sort of like cuddling after sex.
For a second date and beyond, finepipes.com will be my wingman.

Status
Not open for further replies.