Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

drezz01

Can't Leave
Dec 1, 2014
While breaking in my Castello with straight virginias the weirdest thing happened - I started to like them. The closest I had come to a straight VA (prior to the Capstan Original that I used to break in the Castello) was Royal Jersey Cavendish and Virginia. It did little for me and tasted like smoking a damp clump of hay. In its defense - I was likely smoking it too wet as this was fairly early on - but I digress.
I really loved the Capstan so I have ordered some VA's from McCranies. Unfortunately I had to send them to my girlfriend in Montana for her to mule across the border for me as McCranies will not ship across the border. In the meantime I decided to order some VaPers to try as well - and unlike the VA's that I won't get my hands on until May - the VaPers are out for delivery today!
Now my dilemma.
I ordered some Elizabethan Mixture (largely off of the glowing reviews from my good friend Bradley at Stuff&Things), some Sixpence (because I bit the marketing hype), and some Three Nuns (Ok, not a VaPer, I know, but it seemed like a 'must try').
Which should I crack open first?

darwin

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 9, 2014
Try to obtain some Escudo. It is the eternal VaPer benchmark.

drezz01

Can't Leave
Dec 1, 2014
I've actually got a tin of Escudo in with the McCranies order. I've heard it's the VaPer benchmark. I'm not good at waiting though :lol:

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
Well I'd vote Escudo too if you can wait, otherwise my vote goes to Sixpence. Enjoy, you've entered a fine, fine world.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Escudo by reputation is the leading VaPer. But I have to say that the tin of GLPease Fillmore I finished recently may be, for my tastes, the best VaPer I've smoked.
Pax

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Escudo +1 and if can, get a sample of the Seattle Pipe Club Deception Pass. It is Va/Per with a hint of zing.
Love that stuff.

drezz01

Can't Leave
Dec 1, 2014
Thanks for the suggestions! If these first blends cause me to catch the VaPer bug I will certainly track those suggestions down! Now if only Canada Post would stop jerking my chain! The package has been "Out for Delivery" for 28 hours now...

shanelktown

Lifer
Feb 10, 2015
+1 wyfbane I would also suggest SPC Deception pass it is a really good Vader. I would put that in as a good one to try if your just trying out Vapers. There are a lot of others out there that have a strong spice but deception pass is not an overbearing spice it's very pleasant.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Seems like you've a good handle on things but it would be remiss to leave out St James Flake, the real benchmark for style ('til the next person chimes in at least).
I would go EM>6P>3M. Mild, sweet, savory.
Incidentally, if you like the Three Monks and you want to try something similar with perique give Doblone d'Oro a try.

riffraff

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 8, 2014
South Carolina
It sounds to me like you have a good selection of excellent tobaccos on their way to you. I would be remiss to not mention Orlik Golden Sliced. Lovely stuff.
If you got the McCranie's Red Ribbon, you are going to be impressed! I love that stuff.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Try the Three Nuns first as it will make you appreciate all the other stuff you have purchased. If you can find a small jar of perique and add a little by a 'hit or miss' blending technique you will get to something that will almost resemble the original Three Nuns. I believe 'Pipe Stud' has some on his web site but I am sure you will find cheaper if you look around!

Ha ha Condorlover, I was thinking the same thing. I still have my first tin of Three Nones sitting opened in my cellar after two years. I probably won't ever finish it off. I was totally underwhelmed by that blend. It just left my throat with a nasty coating, like a cheap dime store cigar does. But, some like it, who knows. It may be your thing.
You've got a bunch of stuff to try. And, I agree with Riffraff. If you got Red Ribbon, you may just find yourself riding that tin down to the bottom fast. I just popped my sixth tin of it in a row, and I quickly built up a collection of 40 tins with more on the way. I have to force myself to smoke from my other selections. It's that good, IMO.
I hope you have fun. I know you will. Just keep an open mind and smoke slowly...

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
Capstan is my favorite Virginia and if you liked it then here are a few you should also enjoy.....

McClelland 5100 Red Cake..... It is probably one of the best selling straight Virginias out there.

P.S. Luxury Navy Flake..... A great Virginia flake with Perique and a great price tag too.

McClelland Beacon Extra..... If you like Perique then this will knock your socks off.

Whatever you try I hope you enjoy it. It's a great way to kill a great day just sampling new tobaccos.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Escudo

Fillmore

Solani 633

Davidoff Flake Medallions
Large amount of perique:
John Patton Cool Hand Fluke

C&D Chenet's Cake (of the two, much better)

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
Elizabethan Mixture of course!
One of the best VaPers for people who really love and know VaPers.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Throw in some Dunhill Deluxe Navy Rolls, it's said to be an Escudo clone. I've never smoked Escudo but I'm currently working on a tin of DNR and it's fabulous. It's bold and flavorful and it may not be a first choice but after you get a few VaPer's burned through and feel it's a genre you really like, pop a tin of DNR and sit back and get ready for one of the best there is, IMHO of course. You've got some great smoking ahead of you when the "Mule" comes through, enjoy!

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
drezz01, I'm jealous of your virginity to Escudo. You've got choices! That's the main thing. Contrasts make for appreciation.

I have read reviews on those blends you've got and I wish I had your 'dilemma'.

I haven't smoked those on your list,(except Escudo) but the comments on the 3nuns piqued my interest.

I've seen one or two blends get consistently alarming feedback.

Mix79 comes to mind.

Of course there are those really HUGE and distinctive blends that don't conform to a type we see receive derision, but we understand that these are friendly jibes to their proponents. Condor?

I guess from what I gather, you are in the GWN and also have difficulty obtaining leaf, so, I would imagine that you would at least 'cellar' any of these that didn't immediately hit your yes button.

Status
Not open for further replies.