Pipes Magazine » General Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

A Walmart Horror Story.

(32 posts)
  1. shawn622

shawn622

Knucklehead

Login to Send PM

A couple of weeks ago I had an experience at Walmart that nearly gave me a nervous breakdown. I went to walmart to get a bunch of school clothes and supplies for my kids. I went and checked out. It was close to 200 bucks. i slid my card and something went wrong. The cashier said everything was ok, so I grabbed the bags and started out the door. I looked at the receipt and I was charged double. I turned around, went back to the cashier and showed her my receipt. She called the manager. The manager took my receipt and the card and punched a bunch of stuff into the register and says she took care of it. On my way out, I called the bank automated system to check my balance and almost 800 bucks was gone. I went to the manager and she claimed I was trying to scam them. I was furious. I used my phone to log on to my banks site and showed the manager that 5 transactions had went through. 3 debits and 2 credits. Each debit was double the prior debit. She got really snappy with me and got the store manager who fixed everything, but he was not even that polite. He barely apologized and it seemed forced. I get paid once a month. If this would have went without me catching it, I would have been screwed. I had not paid my bills when this went down. I love Walmart because the prices are good and you don't have to bounce from store to store to get what you want, but that whole thing was jacked up. Anyone else have a Walmart horror story?

There's nothing quite like tobacco: it's the passion of decent folk, and whoever lives without tobacco doesn't deserve to live.
    -Moliere
    Posted 1 year ago #
  2. mrenglish

mrenglish

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Oh crap, that would suck. Its a shame they don't pay their people that well, otherwise you might have a had a bit of better customer service.

Not to their defense, but they are constantly being hit with fraudsters. I stood behind someone who was purchasing gift cards and kept using credit card after credit card. I noticed they were from different banks and most were getting declined. You could tell the clerk thought something was up but the way the rules are written, if a card is present at the point of sale, the merchant will get paid regardless if the card is stolen or not. When I worked in debit card fraud prevention, Wally's was a very common merchant used.

It's good you stood your ground. Just keep an eye on your account to make sure it pans out OK.

Michael
    Posted 1 year ago #
  3. hunter

hunter

Login to Send PM

That is disgusting, I would put in calls to the Better Business Bureau and their regional manager. It is good you didn't take it lying down. I shop at Walmart every now and again but the worst I ever have to deal with is when folks decided that parenting isn't for them and let their kids run wild, but that is all places.

“My pipe is out, my glass is dry; My fire is almost ashes too; But once again, before you go, And I prepare to meet the New : Old Year! a parting word that's true, For we've been comrades, you and I - I thank God for each day of you; There! bless yo”
    - Robert Service
    Posted 1 year ago #
  4. grizzly86

grizzly86

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yes, Wal-Mart prices are low, but it comes at another price. In my experience Wal-Mart customer service is SHIT!
    Before anyone gets on me, this is a general statement. I have run into individuals who work at Wal-Mart that are polite and actually try to help; most of them though, managers especially, couldn't give a damn.

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. cajunguy

Cajunguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My negative experiences at Wal-Mart are too many to name.

Let's just say that, if I were in a financial position to shop elsewhere, I wouldn't miss that damned place.

"It's like, how much more black could this be? and the answer is none. None more black." - Nigel Tufnel, Spinal Tap
    Posted 1 year ago #
  6. keith929

keith929

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Good lesson for us all; Never a store without checking your receipt.

A smart man learns from the mistakes of others.
    A wise man learns from his own.
    ---Anonymous
    Posted 1 year ago #
  7. hawk60ce

hawk60ce

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I refuse to go to walmart. period. i will say there prices are lower, but irregardlessly (yes that was a joke) if the wife needs or wants to look at something there, i wait in the car or have her drop me at a different store.

People sleep peacefully in their beds at night, because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  8. sparroa

simenon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't fault anybody for shopping at Walmart as I have done it many times myself in the past.

I personally try to avoid them, though, because I think they are a big part of what's ruining the North American economy. Shopping at Walmart encourages outsourcing and a disposable culture, IMHO.

Honestly, I try my best to shop elsewhere or do without unnecessary items.

I tend to support local businesses where possible but often times their prices are too crazy and I opt for an online retailer who has the selection I want for a price I can afford...

Posted 1 year ago #
  9. ocpsdan

ocpsdan

Login to Send PM

I don't shop there. Sure, they have nice prices, but I've noticed that the small business won't screw you like Wal-Mart does.

Posted 1 year ago #
  10. spartan

Spartan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The few times I have to go there... I self checkout. Screw Walmart.

"I was born to lose. So I'll die to win." -Breaking Benjamin
    Posted 1 year ago #
  11. lonestar

lonestar

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I hate to inform everyone, but Wal-Mart is not that cheap any more. Sure some things cheaper there than anywhere else, but if you are filling a cart up you're not saving much.
    I dont spend much money with them.
    For groceries Aldi is much cheaper but they have a business model that actually saves money without cutting throats.

Posted 1 year ago #
  12. baronsamedi

baronsamedi

Black House Whore

Login to Send PM

I typically avoid Wal-Mart. Yeah, you might save $20 on a week's worth of groceries, but the produce is never very good, the meat and dairy will probably be bad because it was left in a shopping cart for 2 days and then put back on the shelf and the lines are ridiculous because there are never enough cashiers and the ones that are there are in no hurry. I go in sometimes if there's a specific thing I need and they are the only place open or has it in stock. A week ago I went in there because they had a TV wall mount and Best Buy was double the price for the same product. I opened the box and inspected it before I bought it, though, because their stuff hets manhandled pretty bad. I usually use the self-check, too.

Proud Member of the Blackblood Society Photobucket
    Posted 1 year ago #
  13. roudoudou

roudoudou

Login to Send PM

You should contact customer service and explain what happened ($$ and bad service). The debit thing is very unacceptable. Geez, it's fraud!
    I'm not familiar with US regulations but something like Consumer Protection (Better Business Bureau as hunter was saying) should be aware of that too.

Hope it'll never happen to anyone of us.

Posted 1 year ago #
  14. typical98

typical98

Login to Send PM

That sucks. Luckly you caught it though. What happened to my mom is that when she went to no frills she got her card copied and the code stolen and the next morning they took out her daily limit then the next day did it again which emptied my moms account. We knew it was the grociery store because it was the only place she used her debit in over a week.

We brought it up to the store manager and showed them the person who did it. (who i might add when the manager spoke to them they were acting very weird.) but the manager basically told us to eff off and never come back. So we didnt but we also went over his head to the franchise manager or whatever there calls. They came down found the person with a different debit machine then the others and the store manager and her were fired and the police were called in to investigate.

There is a way if you switch the debit machine in a store, it will make a copy of the card data and store it, when you put in your debit code it will store that to. so later they can make fake cards.

Posted 1 year ago #
  15. shawn622

shawn622

Knucklehead

Login to Send PM

I agree with everyone. I do Aldi for food religiously. I get a full shopping cart at Aldi for 150 bucks where the local IGA I get 4 bags. I agree with everyone about Walmart. They do have great employees on the floor, but the management is just lame. Why I was charged double on the first check out was the woman ran my card as debit when I wanted it ran credit because of fees my bank charges for running it as debit, which is ridiculous. The cashier explanation to her boss was this: "Somehow I thought I voided the sale and then credited his account the amount so I ran the credit transaction as double to equal things out." Sounds fishy huh??? We all make mistakes, but I think that woman was padding her drawer so she could pull the $197 bucks out before her shift was over and wouldn't get caught.

Posted 1 year ago #
  16. steelman

steelman

Login to Send PM

I do my best to support my small local businesses. I pay a bit extra because their service is top notch.

That being said, there is an expression in my neighborhood....

"The people working at Wal-Mart are the people that Target rejected."

"Success needs no explanation; failure does not have one that matters..."
    Posted 1 year ago #
  17. numbersix

numbersix

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sorry to hear it Shawn - glad you were alert! I also try to avoid Walmart when possible - gives me the heebie-jeebies x10.

"Be seeing you" —Number Six, The Prisoner

Posted 1 year ago #
  18. zanthal

zanthal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yeah, here's my Walmart horror story:

I walked into Walmart ...

I go there somewhat often, but I totally know what you mean by it being a giant house of bizarre vibes.

Posted 1 year ago #
  19. topd

TopD

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I live in an area where WalMart is the only choice... But I ALWAYS double check my receipts!

Steve 'Top' Downey
    Master Sergeant
    USMC - Retired
    Posted 1 year ago #
  20. dochudson

dochudson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I know I'm odd man out on this but cash only.. I got rid of debit and cc cards a few years back. I keep an Amex card for online buying and travel. I keep a small slush fund in PayPal to forum purchases.

I Enjoy Aromatics
    I Enjoy Peterson Pipes
    Posted 1 year ago #
  21. shawn622

shawn622

Knucklehead

Login to Send PM

I'm leaning toward your methods Dochudson!!!

Posted 1 year ago #
  22. elwin

elwin

Login to Send PM

Man, I guess I'm the exception to the rule.

My Walmart store has some of the most polite, helpful folks I've ever had to deal with.
    I've had 'associates' (their word for employees) go out of their way to help me find what I was looking for - sometimes walking along with me all the way across the store to make sure I find it.
    A few years back I picked up a small flat screen TV for the kitchen. I got it home and one of the buttons was broke. I took it back, and talked the manager. They didn't have any more of that model in stock, so he gave me the display model, knocked off $25 on the price, and personally carried it out to the car for me. (It's still working great, BTW.)

And frankly, Walmart has been a God-send here in my neck in the woods. We used to have to drive somewhere between 30 to 50 miles to find a store to carry electronics and the like.
    And they employ a lot of people here that would have had to either move away, or go on welfare to survive. They didn't ruin any small businesses here, because there weren't any. We had a small grocer, a convenience store, a restaurant and two gas stations. They're still here, and still in business.

I don't doubt any of the stories I've read here.
    But Walmart isn't the problem. The people that work in them sure can be, though.
    You guys should be reporting these things to the main branch offices.
    If the upper management aren't aware that these A-holes are doing these things, there's no way for them to fix it.
    And trust me. The way the current job market is faring, there are plenty of people out there that they can replace them with. People that know that the customer is the person that ultimately pays their salary.

Sorry for the semi rant, guys.
    But around here, there's a lot of us that a really glad that we even have a Walmart to b-tch about.
    And come the Zombie Apocalypse, I know where I'll be heading to stock up...

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis
    Posted 1 year ago #
  23. chopz

chopz

Login to Send PM

a friend of mine married a chinese girl. one day they were in walmart and she said "oh my friend makes those gloves." my friend said "he does?" and she said "yes, in the prison camp, in china."

i don't shop at walmart, because of things like that. of course their prices have gone up - the dollar has gone down against the foreign currencies.

i had an experience with an atm machine a couple months ago. i went to the local 4h fair to pick up my son and while i was there i used an atm machine. just as the transaction was approved the power went out throughout the entire fair. i never got money out of the machine but when i checked my bank account the debit had posted. trying to work it out with the company that owns the atm machine (i wrote down the phone number on the side of it) was a waste of time but my bank cleared it up pretty quickly for me.

Posted 1 year ago #
  24. wolfie90

wolfie90

Login to Send PM

+1 on dochudson. Ive had to much trouble with cc to trust major companies with them. I always pay them cash only.

Posted 1 year ago #
  25. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

WalMart has one thing in mind, paying dividends to the stockholders. That is accomplished by indoctrination of employees, we are not anti-union-we are pro-associate. Try and find anything MADE IN AMERICA! It won't happen in the clothing area. They keep more non-Americans working then they have working for them in the USA. Thats enough from me, I misbehaved last week. Not my turn!

Posted 1 year ago #
  26. nightmarejones

nightmarejones

Login to Send PM

I have to say..well a few things pro and con on Wal-mart..They are the devil since Sam died,all they care about is saving THEMSELVES money.I've worked for them for just short of 10 yrs. in the warehouse/distribution center and every 6 months our production goes up and cases per trailer goes up so they can save on units per man-hour and fuel per trip to each store.Thus A LOT of products are broken because they are just thrown as fast as they can be since our Production now is 750 cases an hour, per person..On the pro side they....umm..have crap quality products for a little less than competitors.

Posted 1 year ago #
  27. shawn622

shawn622

Knucklehead

Login to Send PM

Good point Dave... In fact, Wall St runs the whole world, not just Walmart but that's a whole different thread. That's insane Chops. Glad you got that sorted out. My son is in 4-H too. Great organization. I don't use a debit card because I want to. I use it because its my only option. I usually deduct all my money after I pay my bills though.

Posted 1 year ago #
  28. sjpipesmoker

sjpipesmoker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I worked at Walmart a while back and the customers would use the return policy in their favor. Examples, before going on vacation. They would buy the best camera/camcorder we had, use it and return it. During the hot weather, they would buy the best AC unit, then return it after the weather would get better, same thing for heaters. I once had a customer try to return a Sony camcorder that we didn't sell, it even had the other stores (Montgomery wards) security tape on the box, but he insisted that he bought it at Walmart. We've had customers buy tv's put bricks in the box and re seal it and return it, and it worked a few times, since the clerk didn't check the contents. Guys would come in before a toy show, buy all of the star wars and hot wheel items and what ever that didn't sell at the show, they would return it. I shop there for certain items because the value is good and they have what I need all in one place. Yes, sometimes they screw up...

Posted 1 year ago #
  29. dochudson

dochudson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't use a debit card because I want to. I use it because its my only option.

eh? I thought a debit card required that the cash was actually in the bank?? now that I'm retired we both have everything direct deposited and I simply swing by my bank and cash a check (you young guys can look that up) for cash.

Posted 1 year ago #
  30. igloo

igloo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It is always best not to use your debit card and PIN . Every time you do it gets stored on another database . I always charge that way I get the federal protection laws to back me up . As for WallyWorld everything thing there is made cheaper even when it is brand name .Sometimes spending more is spending less in the long run . Buyer beware .

“There was an awful suspicion in my mind that I'd finally gone over the hump, and the worst thing about it was that I didn't feel tragic at all, but only weary, and sort of comfortably detached.”
    Posted 1 year ago #
  31. baronsamedi

baronsamedi

Black House Whore

Login to Send PM

"I simply swing by my bank and cash a check (you young guys can look that up) for cash."

I tease my wife about doing that. She also makes me sit with her and balance her checkbook every month and I'm like "Why don't you throw that damn thing away if it's wrong every month? Just look at the computer and see what your balance is! If you would use your debit card you wouldn't even have all this outstanding crap!" It makes her mad which makes up for me having to add all that crap all the time. I haven't had to balance a checkbook in 10 years.

Posted 1 year ago #
  32. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I haven't had to balance a checkbook in 10 years.

I've never balanced a checkbook. I used to use the telephone teller until I started looking it up with on line banking. I figure if there's a balance of a few thousand or more in my checking account as it's shown in the bank's system, as there has been so far, and the deducted amounts are correct, I'm GTG.

I have a credit union debit card that I only use at credit union ATMs when I need a bit of cash (I hate fees).

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   allan, ejames, goldsm, moonman, jmill208, tbradsim1, yohanan, aaronbrill, numbersix, gr8scott, foggymountain, petes03, dacor, goodkat, monty55, bookn3rd5, drhuff, mso489, mustanggt, pitchfork, saint007, rickpal14, fadingdaylight, ssjones, iliumneves, jeffrey, moosecop