PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

raevans

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 20, 2013
My sincerest apologies as I have been a member here for some time and from the very beginning did not introduce myself.
My name is Randy Evans, I have been a pipe smoker off and on for eighteen years. Pipesmoking, for me, started about a year after I got married. My wife and I were talking about starting a family and for some reason I had the “Father Knows Best / Leave It To Beaver” picture of fatherhood in my head. Naturally, shows of that era had no issue with portraying men smoking pipes as an everyday thing. I liked the idea, but where to start?
At the time, I lived in the Washington DC area and Fair Oaks Mall was a quick drive. I ended up at John B. Hayes Tobacconist on a Saturday afternoon. It was amazing...the different smells of the tobaccos, everyone was very friendly, and you could actually smoke in the store..WOW!! I was like a kid in a candy store with a pocket full of money! Needless to say..within a couple of hours, I had picked out my first pipe, (Savinelli De Lux), my first tobacco, (LL 1Q), and all of the little “toys” that went along with it. And with that, I entered into the wonderful world of pipes.
Soon, I became a fixture at JBH. I couldn’t get enough, and before I knew it, I was working there part time. It was also at this time, the store manager, told me about this “new” pipe smokers club that had just started. It was called CAPS, (Capital Area Pipe Smokers), and it met every other month at a local restaurant in Fairfax. JBH and another local tobacco store, (Old Virginia Tobacco Company), were sponsors and would often donate pipes, tobacco, cigars and other “goodies” to be raffled. I went to my first meeting and had a great time. We sampled various tobaccos and I believe that night, Gary Pesh of OVTC, brought in Eric Nording as our guest speaker. By the time the meeting ended, I was into pipes more than I had ever imagined. I wanted to know all about them, history, present, and future. I wanted to know all about tobacco, or should I say tobacco’s as I soon learned that there were so many different blends, that it would be easier to try and count the stars than try to count all of the different blends.
Fast forward four years, and I became President of CAPS, I had one desire, to have a pipe show in the Washington DC area. I had been traveling with Matt Hayes and we had been doing the Pipe Show circuit. During that time, I had the good fortune to meet many of the pipe makers that are spoken about so highly on this forum. I had worked with some of the top retailers in the country and had endless discussions with whoever would listen about a show in DC again. In 2002, we had our first show, followed by two more in 03 and 04. They were a blast and we were fortunate enough to have the top talent at them, (both in pipe making and pipe retail). In 05, I stepped down as club president and moved from the DC area. It was also around this time, that I went gonzo with online pipe shopping. Most of the folks that I had met during the shows, also had website’s and man, it was so easy to pull the trigger on a pipe and pretty soon I had amassed a collection of well over three hundred pipes. I had no less than thirty Dunhill ODA’s and countless other high end pipes. I had pipes that retailed well over the 3K mark and I couldn’t get enough. I was always on the search for the “next trophy” or “conquest”.
That last part was not said in order to boast or brag, it was said as a lead in to 2010. I was sitting in the “man cave” looking at the pipes in the huge pipe rack on the wall and it hit me. I had lost the original concept of “why” I had picked up a pipe in the first place. Pipes, for me, had turned into nothing more than the next acquisition. It had lost the charm and I had become a pipe hoarder. (I mean that literally) I then made a decision that I had to step away from it completely. I sold almost all of the pipes. I did keep three for their sentimental value, a Dunhill that had been a gift from my wife and daughter, a Karl Erik that had been a gift from my parents, and a Sam Learned CAPS ‘04 POY. The rest went. I did not look at a pipe, smoke a pipe, attend a pipe show or really have anything to do with a pipe. (Other than occasionally read the forums)
That was three years ago. Now I have picked up the pipe again. Not to collect, not to hunt for the next “trophy”, but to sit back, relax and enjoy the moment of actually smoking a pipe again. I don’t do it all of the time, I may not smoke a pipe for two or three days at a time. I still have the three pipes that I kept and have added one, a Dr. Grabow. I smoke a cheap, LL cherry/vanilla blend that can be picked up in most local drugstores, (and surprisingly, it has a really good flavor). I am also enjoying the pipe in a way that I had forgotten existed. Maybe it’s me, a lot older, a little wiser - (those that already know me would probably say that’s debatable), and a bit more relaxed.
Well, that’s who I am and I do enjoy reading the posts here, and although I do not post a lot, will try to make sure that when I do post, it will hopefully, add to the conversation and not detract.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Hi Randy, welcome to the forum. That is a heck of a story, thanks for sharing it. I also went through a stage similar to yours where I did nothing but chase grain. I didn't take into account the stem or how it would smoke or whether I would even like the damn thing. I did not get close to your numbers but I eventually tired of it and stopped smoking for a number of years and sold off most of those pipes. When I came back, I refused to chase grain and stuck to blasted pipes( although I do chase a great ring grain blast) but now I am a freak about the stem and how a pipe will smoke my favorite flakes. Looks are secondary over function as I have bought pipes I was not crazy about looks wise, but I knew would be a fantastic smoker. I eventually fell in love with those pipes that I was not crazy about because they did smoke so well.
It is interesting how we become so caught up with certain aspects of pipe smoking and collecting and forget why we began in the first place. Your story is a good example for all to read.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Welcome, Randy. That's great story. I'm sure most of us started smoking a pipe with some idealized expectation of what it would be like and what we'd look like with a pipe. It sounds like your pipe smoking has self-actualized and you're in a good spot.

Enjoy your time here; it's a great place to hang out.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Welcome Randy. Yours is an interesting story. It illustrates the value of balance required by life, and in

pipe smoking as a small part of life. I don't want to bad mouth the acquisition of pipes. Among other things,

it sponsors this web site, the buying of pipes and tobacco. But you illustrate well that the purchase of

pipes and tobacco can be a tight circle of shopping and buying, until you barely break in the pipes you have,

and are always scouting for the next one. It's a big reward when each pipe or tobacco shipment arrives in the

mail or by courier, but the "high" is soon over. Yes, fewer pipes can be better than a wall of them, if it helps

keep the pleasures of a smoke in the forefront, not just the purchases. Yours is a most thoughtful post,

something to think about.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Balance indeed. It looks you have re-discovered your equilibrium! I was hanging out at JB Hayes (Fair Oaks) Friday evening, I was in the area overnight for work. John and King are just great. What a nice crowd, that is one of my favorite shops. I also know Matt and the Winchester store, also a really nice place. Perhaps I'll bump into you in one of those shops. Welcome to the forum!

Status
Not open for further replies.