A Truly Insane Gift?!?! Who Sent This To Me?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
I received a pipe in the mail, quite possibly the nicest pipe I've ever seen. No return address or any identifying marks whatsoever. I'm not sure if it's some sorta mistake or what... I'm not sure what to think or do with this. I'm humbled, confused, and concerned. If anybody knows anything about this, PLEASE contact me.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
It was me....but I changed my mind and would like you to send it back! :nana:

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
Many years ago a pipe smoking British explorer discovered the tomb of the ancient malevolent deity, Ku'elay. Shortly after that the explorer was never heard from again but his pipe was last seen in an old dusty curio shop, though it is now missing. It is thought the enraged spirit has quietly inhabited the explore's pipe for over hundred years, waiting for the next victim to take a puff.
Better mail it on to the next recipient =)
PM me for my address.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A Forums member offered to mail me some tobacco he'd tried and didn't like, so I appreciatively agreed, and when it arrived I was pleased, but had to be prompted by him to look at the box again and discovered a really fine pipe. I was blown away. Stunned. It is one of my finest. Won't give the name, or put the guy on the spot, but there are some exceedingly kind and generous people on Forums. Just take it in good part and look for opportunities to pass along the good feeling. Many other members have sent me samples, some in quantity, and this has expanded, doubled, my experience with blends. Another member got his supplier to send me a sample polishing cloth to use on pipes. I think my cynicism is being undermined!

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I don't know but someone also just sent me 6 ropes of Strang and 2 really nice Meers!!
Was that you, Nate??

Jan 8, 2013
This forum is chock full of the most generous people. One of the things I love most about the forum is reading stories such as this one, when a forum member shows his generosity to another. It's a truly beautiful thing. I've been on the receiving end a few times myself and I still cherish those gifts. Many do it, I think, simply because it feels good. It's enjoyable to make someone else's day. It's fun. And it gives you the warm fuzzies. And there's nothing wrong with warm fuzzies... they're warm. And fuzzy.
I have no idea where I'm going with this.
Better stop while I'm ahead....

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Accept it with good grace and let donor enjoy their anonymity. It's a win-win, enjoy it!
Agreed. Anonymous gifts are common around here. Just the other day I received a used cob and 2 ounces of Mixture 79. I'm content to not know who sent it.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Nate:
A similar situation happened to me some time ago. A friend was selling some high grade pipes - well out of my price range. I commented on one of his beauties and, mirable dictu, it showed up in the mail a few weeks later. My friend refused to ID the gifter but promised to pass along my blind but heartfelt thank you.
I'm truly sorry you don't have even that small outlet.
The lesson here? Somebody likes you. You wrote something amusing, or poignant or truly honest that made some kind of substantial impact on somebody. Now, what you do from this point on is entirely your call. (I've been a member here since early 2011 and have been in serious payback mode for four and a half years. I don't see it ending anytime soon.)
Embrace the mystery, Nate. This place really is magic.
Fnord

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
It happens. About two years ago I had a nice pipe up for sale here. Someone,I'll not mention his name, purchased it and asked that I send it to a certain member anonymously. The generosity shown here never ceases to amaze me. :wink:

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
I agree with what's been said. This pipes which was sent to me by a mysterious benefactor, it's an early 70's Dunhill Squat Bulldog DR C Root briar

I adore small gifts, but this is WAY expensive. I'm a tad Uncomfy

Status
Not open for further replies.