PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
Not from Missouri Meerschaum but I do believe they absorbed this company at some point. From National Pipe Works (NPW logo) of Missouri is his ca 1910 Corn Cob Bowl with hard rubber stem with rolled chrome plated cover to mate to the bowl. Keeping it smokey with Comoy Cask 7 Single Roll Slice.

banjo
44457257921_7943fe6db0_z_d.jpg

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
It was 99 y/o when I purchased it and had never been smoked, the cob was almost like wood and I was surprised it hadn’t cracked, obviously someone kept it in a stable temperature all those year, smokes great too.

banjo

chilipalmer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 24, 2017
That is super cool, Banjo. I am astounded that you found a 99 year old unsmoked cob, but, to also get to smoke it? Bravo, sir. Bravo!
Cheers,
Chili

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
Amazing. I can well imagine a man in a straw boater hat smoking it back in 1910.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Seems to be a high caliber corn cob. I am curious about whether or not it is hardwood plugged, and how the shank interfaces with the bowl.

fishbanjo, you are an amazing collector, and I enjoy seeing these unique acquisitions.

jonasclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
All the cob companies made pipes with this plug-in rubber-and-nickel stem. They're quite nice, and uncommon. MM made them well into the 70s as the "Desk Set" (one stem, three different bowls), including a Color Cob version! There's also a churchwarden stem.

Status
Not open for further replies.