PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 24, 2012
I am internally conflicted by this.
A few weeks ago renowned forum member Pipestud offered 5 tins of Deerstalker for sale on his site. I had heard about Deerstalker before. It is an all VA blend made by the legendary Elephant & Castle, a London blending house that ceased production in the 1980s.
I thought the price was fairly high. I can't recall exactly, but I think I paid $100 or $125 tops for each of the two tins I ended up purchasing. It was an extravagant indulgence, but I thought it might be fun to try this blend on a special occasion.
And then, this past week Pipestud auctioned off a single tin of Deerstalker and it sold for $367! See http://www.ebay.com/itm/151477419147
Up until the final seconds, the auction was at about what I paid for my tins, but the final closing price shocked me a bit.
Now I am feeling like it would be beyond extravagant to smoke my Deerstalker up and I am truthfully conflicted.
This is a First World dilemma, I appreciate, but a dilemma nonetheless.
So, if you were me, what would you do?
hmG9JjQ.jpg

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Now I am feeling like it would be beyond extravagant
Too late, those cows have left the pasture!
Now you HAVE to smoke it and report back with FULL DETAILS.
I'm imagining some kind of super creamy, smooth and rich extravaganza! :P
i-just-came-omg-so-delicious.jpg

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
peckinpahhombre:
The holidays are stressful enough in and of themselves, and the added angst posed by this dilemma may prove to be too much even for you. Accordingly, please package both tins and mail them to me at once. Just imagine the relief that you will feel as you post that parcel; it will be as it the weight of the world has been lifted from your weary shoulders!
No need to thank me, as I am pleased to make this offer to you in the true spirit of pipemanship.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
There is no value in unsmoked tobacco or wine in a bottle that is never to be opened. I know that many would disagree but this life is about our experiences. I love a good bottle of wine but i would rather have a $1000 bottle of exceptional wine and drink it than have a $45,000 bottle of vinegar that isn't really that tasty as vinegar or wine. While this tobacco may increase in value, what significance will $200 extra in your pocket really have? That time you smoked the $300 Deerstalker sounds like a much better memory and also one you will likely keep with you.

Dec 24, 2012
This is interesting.
I see Pipestud has put up another tin of Deerstalker for his auction ending this weekend.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ELEPHANT-CASTLE-DEERSTALKER-SEALED-50g-TIN-MADE-IN-THE-1980s-PIPE-STUD-/390982915132?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5b0865d43c
He is obviously hoping that lightning will strike the same spot a second time.
Now, this conflicts me as well. I like Pipestud, and I want him to do well.
However, it would ease my earlier quandary considerably if this tin went for a whole lot less than the last tin. At least I could tell myself that $367 was an aberration.

billypm

Can't Leave
Oct 24, 2013
Smoke at least one! If you had the money to buy them you don't need the money enough to sell them.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
If your not keeping it to sell down the road crack one tin and jar it in smaller portions to be enjoyed over time and keep one sealed only to be broke to celebrate a momentous occasion. That way if your feeling generous you can gift a small portion or smoke as you like while not disturbing the aging process of the tobacco if you have it kept all in one jar. Every time I get a new tobacco I jar it in two 125ml jars, one to smoke and see if I like it and one to age. Once I know I like a blend I will jar them in 250ml jars after that.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
What's your problem? You have two tins, do an auction for one with a reserve of $300. If you sell it, your principle investment is returned with a 50% return on investment + a tin of Deerstalker gratis. Open and enjoy the second.
Of course the problem is, what if you don't like Deerstalker? I guess you could break up the already opened tin into single bowl servings and sell them to a bunch of rare tobacco coveting pipers for $10-15 a bowl. The only problem is where to find a group of mad pipers who would enjoy nearly 40 year old Virginia. :D

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
I would smoke at least one of them. You may never get another chance to try it. If it is as good as you thought it would be, I would smoke both. Otherwise, sell the other unopened one.

Dec 24, 2012
Peck, I doubt that any tobacco will improve much in taste after ten years of aging. You have other tobaccos that old or will be soon. The season of giving is almost upon us. Why not auction them off and give the proceeds to your favorite charity? You have been blessed with many things, and having kids you know the pleasure of giving. Share your good fortune (and the fruits of your labor) with somebody who will probably not have a tenth of what you have.
Is this really Gig or has Mother Theresa hacked into his pipesmagazine account?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Deerstalker is a very nice smoke. It's not $110 worth of very nice, much less $367 worth of nice. A friend of mine picked up a tin for $27 at the West Coast Pipe Show. It's certainly worth that, and maybe a bit more.

You're kind of buying a pig in a poke. There's always the chance that the tobacco has faded.

puffdoggie

Can't Leave
Dec 14, 2013
Peck, perhaps it is too much to buy but once in hand you might as well give it a go. As others have pointed out, try it first and if it not to your liking sell the second tin to cover the cost of the two tins! 8)

fishingandpipes

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 24, 2013
Truly it would be a shame for you to smoke them. I will gladly take that burden of guilt upon myself for you.
I'm just that nice.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
You'll just spend the proceeds on another pipe for the stable anyway. I say enjoy the tobacco, they aren't making any more and you will have the memories for years, cash is fleeting.

Status
Not open for further replies.