PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
At one of our pipe meetings lestrout offered a tip to keep an openend tin fresh for a longer period of time. Les told me that on tins with pull tops to keep the top in the can over the paper insert and then replace the plastic lid. So I've done this with several tins and it does indeed work. I've noticed that the tobacco does not dry out as fast.

For those of you who don't know Les, he is an encyclopedia of knowledge about our hobby so when he speaks I listen. Thanks, Les.

macabra11

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 14, 2014
Boise, ID
I have been doing this with my tins as well. I don't have anything that has been open for terribly long, but we'll see how the tobaccos hold up in the long run.

escioe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 31, 2013
I used to do a double layer of tin foil that went on the plastic lid. That did a nice job, at least in the wetter climate of the Midwest where I was doing it.
Now I pretty much put everything in jars. In this dry climate in Montana, tobacco dries pretty quickly.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I like that idea. If I know I am going to keep a tin in rotation, I sometimes leave it in the tin. This is not the

"right" way to do this, but I like the experience of seeing the tin art and opening the various layers as I smoke

the blend. It's part of the experience that I can't get fishing it out of a jar. Each to his own, but it's worth it

to me. Plugs and leaf don't dry out much, and loose tobacco stays good for two months or so. If I'm going

to smoke a tin gradually, I behave myself and into the jar it goes.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
The round tins with the plastic caps are less of a problem than the square tins with rounded corners. These don't come with a plastic cap, and once you open them, you've got to put the tobacco in a plastic pouch or it will be bone dry in a day. Anybody have an alternate solution for the square tins?

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
ravkesef, I clean and keep the round tins and use them for blends in the square tins. I have too many blends on hand to jar. I probably have close to 30 different blends open right now.

unholy1

Might Stick Around
May 4, 2014
I put a layer of plastic wrap over the tin before I screw the lid down. I usually put the contents of square tins in mason jars, however.

Status
Not open for further replies.