PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Been absent for awhile, but I wanted to share a couple of tidbits and ask for some technical advice (via private message).

First, ever have a problem with the pipe insert of your flip top lighter carbonizing too much and unable to clean it? I thought I'd try this method, based on stories on how Coca Cola can eat through a beef steak. The carbonation is so strong that I figured it might blast off the carbon grime. Another solvent might work as well, but I don't know which one, having tried alcohol to no avail. So I took the insert, removed the cotton and wick and soaked it in a small amount of Coke in a coffee mug. Well, it didn't blast it off, but after an hour it loosened the black grime enough to wipe the gunk away with a cloth without too much trouble. If anyone knows of a better method, let me know. (I tried this on the rim of a pipe as well with the same result and without any removal of stain.)

Next, from the good people at Smoking Pipes, I just got this gem in the mail today: a Nording Valhalla bulldog with a beautiful stain and finish, the kind Eric Nording does best:

002-508-6791.jpg

Outside of aesthetics, this is a great pipe, I learned from a rusticated version I got earlier, for outings and trips to the relatives who frown on smoking during family gatherings. And it's a great smoker!

Lastly, my digital camera broke: does anyone know how to transfer a photo from a Kindle Fire to a desktop? My cell is a cheap Q-Link phone that I only use for emergencies.

Thanks for listening, guys.

Spit and some elbow grease works for me on getting the cake creep off. I also have a piece of leather tacked to a board, shade side up that I rub my rims on when cleaning them up. Gets a good polish on them. Sablebrush recommends coffee as a solvent also, as it isn’t too aggressive, but more so than spit. But, if coke works for you... nothing wrong with that.

Beautiful pipe! I have a couple of those Nording Bullies too. I love the way they smoke. Good choice.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Your method sounds better than the brute force method of soda pop. I'm printing yours out for future reference.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
The stem fits a little better than the photo shows, but yes, it's not a firm fit. I have the same issue with my other Nording bulldog. I live with it. On the other hand, Workman, it is a great cliencher, very light, and holds a respectable amount of tobacco.This particular Valhalla is a 401, btw.

When I met Erik Nording at The Briary, he was telling me that these "numbers" line of pipes (or sometimes called Valhalla line) were designed to all use the same stems. Retailers have access to replacement stems, for as long as Nording is still producing, and if you ever need a new one, you just tell the retailer the number of the pipe, and they can get you a replacement for you.

Thus, all of this line of pipes, in different shapes and finishes all have stems that fit flush to the stummel, but do not follow the "contours" of the pipe.

images

002-508-3469_1.jpg

NordingValhallaPipeShape101.jpg

Erik is a really a down to earth guy to talk to, and very funny. He always has a great story to tell. And, I think he really wanted a line of pipes that were in the $90-$200 range for the working man, that would give them a great smoking experience without breaking the bank. I have six now, and all of them are great smokers, better than or as good as any other pipe in my stable.

I cannot adequately relay how great these pipes are. While not, perfect works of art, in the Danish tradition of pipemaking; they do offer a superb smoke, and look really cool, IMO. Very well designed.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My Nordings are just great pipes, from the econo- Eriksen line to a zebra hunting pipe my wife gave me for Christmas. They are keepers, among the most satisfying smokers.

lifesizehobbit

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
You might also consider Seafoam (available at Auto stores, hardware, etc.) - often used in gas tanks and or oil to help clear a lot of automotive things and carbon is one of them.

witchofthehollow

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 24, 2018
That is a great looking pipe, I really like the dark contrasting flame look. @sparrowhawk I also like to read when I smoke, cool avatar dude :)

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Hi Jay,

From your perspective, I can see how the stem could be consideed terrible. If you look closely however, you'll see the rims of the shank and stem appear, and are, sanded down to a rounded edge. To me at least, this seems an organic touch.

About returning Peterson: I return Petersons, as I did recently with an Atlantic, when the high finish gloss bubbles off. Difficult to tell when this is going to happen: it's happened with a couple of churchwardens (but not on a D 107) and a burn through which can't be predicted. Clear examples of pipe flaws. I may have some loose boulders in my cranium, but Peterson is still my favorite. I plan to order a Fisherman in a few days, probably a reaction to discovering the series "River Monsters."

Thanks to the Witch, who is too cute to call herself thus. :worship:

Status
Not open for further replies.