PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
About a month ago, thesmokindragon (Scott) and I worked out a trade of tobacco for a briar tamper. I received the tamper promptly and was extremely pleased with the craftsmanship. It was immediately apparent that this was a good piece of briar with some flame grain and birds-eye in it. It had some neat plateau on the top that added to the look of it. See below...
p1080579-600x450.jpg

Tamper
p1080582-600x450.jpg

Flame Grain
p1080583-600x450.jpg

Bird's-eye
All of this workmanship didn't prepare me for one quality of this tamper that even Scott couldn't have known. It fit may hand perfectly.
p1080584-600x450.jpg

The ONLY thing I'd change (which I will be when I actually make a custom order for one of Scott's tampers) on this tamper is that the bottom be round or as close as possible so that when tamping the tobacco, I don't have to twist the tamper in my hand.
So if you're in the market for a quality tamper that looks great and functions wonderfully, I highly recommend picking up one of Scott's tampers.
-Jason

Jul 12, 2011
;-) now on to some pipes, once I get my order from Pimo, because

I'm sick of carve'in with a dull spoon :-(

smokindawg

Can't Leave
May 25, 2011
It's a natural progression Dragon, least it was for me. I started with tampers, first of Deer Antler, then started making metal tips for them. Then started making tampers from various woods and other materials. I still make them sometimes when I'm in the mood, but pipe making is now what I work on more than tampers.
I also made quite a few pipe racks and cabinets too....... It all goes hand in hand. Least for me it does. I'm sure you'll enjoy your foray into making pipes as much as I do.

Status
Not open for further replies.