PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
Sorry for the old photo, too shaky still from todays infusion to take one. I know that in the past your grandfathers probably had few pipes compared to what we have in our battery.
To get a feeling how a pipe would fare if smoked daily, and sometimes twice, would it get sour or off tasting, would it not be enjoyable not haven been given a rest etc.
I chose my Peterson Billiard Gold Spigot for this challenge and it’s been 3 weeks, if anything it smokes better than when I started, maybe our grandfathers were cashing in on great smoking and buying more tobacco, cheers.

banjo
30358810638_3c00211e22_b_d.jpg

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I'm on the second week of twice a day smoking with a Savinelli 904 Sherwood Rock Briar. Not a bad smoke yet. Usually I switch out after a week, just decided to keep going with this one.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Just curious what you folks are smoking in the “test” pipe and how you are addressing cake and general pipe cleaning. Same blend, a genre or anything that strikes your fancy? Letting the cake ride or minimizing it?

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
I’m mixing things up a bit tobacco wise but not crazy, sticking with VA’s and VA blends. Regular cleaning and maintaining the cake to where I like it since I’d do this anyway why change for the testing.

banjo

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Just curious what you folks are smoking in the “test” pipe and how you are addressing cake and general pipe cleaning. Same blend, a genre or anything that strikes your fancy? Letting the cake ride or minimizing it?
No test, I've smoked the same pipe for a week for over twenty years before switching out. As for tobacco, the pipe I'm smoking right now is my Devil's Holiday pipe, and I just run a pipe cleaner through the stem and wipe the chamber out with the pipe cleaner after every smoke. Generally smoke a pipe twice per day, but sometimes more.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I've been smoking the same meerschaum 4 or 5 times a day for the past 8 months, or so. Every smoke has been nice. I've never tried doing that with a briar pipe.

When I travel, I will sometimes smoke a pipe repeatedly throughout the day. I love it. I rest my pipes as a practice, but I don't hesitate to resmoke a pipe repeatedly either. I think we place too much emphasis on things sometimes. It is just much better to play it all by ear. You'll get unexpected surprises from time to time.

Basically, there are no rules to any of this. If something works for you, be damned what the peanut gallery would say.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
I just got back from vacation and took only 4 pipes for a week, all smoked 1-2 times daily. Not one problem. As above, they started to smoke better each day.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My dad, born in 1917, smoked a pipe from age of about 15 until he was 65 and quit cold turkey for a second career with a smoke-free work place. He smoked most of the day. He only operated one pipe at a time until the briar cracked or was approaching cracking. He never smoked anything but Granger. Obviously, he enjoyed it. He would sniff and snort to see how many pipes and blends I have. I still have his (and my grandfather's) passed down ten pipe rack with amber tobacco jar.

ignaciojn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2016
I have a Savinelli Porto Cervo in my office. It's my "work pipe", and I smoke it two or three times a day, every single day.

And it's a champ. Never a bad smoke with that one.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
I do that with all my pipes from commission pieces all the way down to cobs. As far as the 904s/9004s, not done yet. Haven't hit thirty-one of them yet. Then I'll be immortal. :wink:

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Interesting feedback. I started on a similar path in earnest about a month ago and it’s changed the way I think about pipes. All imho, that pipes improve with repeated and frequent use is a certainty and borne out in practice by centuries of pipesmokers, So how is it that new pipesmokers pick up the notion that pipes need rest and rotation? I’m not sure how I absorbed that idea, just that it manifested very early in my pipe life. Early enough, at least, that what was once common wisdom is now a novel discovery to me.
Anyway, I purchased a new, virgin, pipe a few weeks back for the express purpose of abusing and have smoked it exclusively waiting for things to get funky. And I’m still waiting!
In the past, I’ve worried about that “soggy pipe” flavor and sour pipe syndrome. I’ve found that what I perceive as sogginess comes from bowl cake and it’s easily minimized by reaming the bowl with a napkin after smoking. Still haven’t been able to sour a pipe but I guess I must keep things pretty clean, which probably also helps with soggynes.
I’ve never thought of myself as a pipe collector, just a person looking for the best tools for the task. I’m finding that I simply have too many pipes sitting around now.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I was curious if you were going real old school and not using pipe cleaners even lol. Curiosity answered.
I recently bought a bunch of pipes so I'm rotating between a Silver Gray hawkbill, a Pete Prevost, bamboo shank'd billiard, a Scott Thile strawberry wood apple, a Sam Adebayo Lovat, and a Scottie Piersel pencil shank'd Dublin. They're probably a week or two away from being totally broken in.
I've also shifted to having whatever blend in whatever pipe. I think as long as I only have 1 or 2 bowls of 1Q in it and then get back to a Va or VaPer it won't ghost too terribly and I'll get more work out of the pipes as opposed to if I would dedicate pipes to blend styles.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I never smoke a pipe more than once in a single day. Once I have smoked said pipe, I will clean it to within an inch of it's life and then let it rest at least 24 hours but usually 48. I have over 50 No American artisan pipes and they are all clamoring for attention. If I were to smoke one of them more than once a day, the rest would be all kinds of pissed off at me. Pipes are a very sensitive lot in that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.