PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

4dotsasieni

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 6, 2013
For those of you who enjoy the smokey flavour of Latakia, I think you'll like Lapsang Souchong tea. I sometimes drink a cup with my Lat blends, especially those I consider a little weak on Latakia, such as Rattray's Highland Targe. Take a sip of tea, a sip of tobacco, and so on......
It has a nice, smokey taste, rich and fulfilling. We also use it to make Chinese "tea eggs" and as a coating for duck and chicken. When you brew it, let the water cool a bit before steeping. Around 190 degrees Fahrenheit is ideal -- too hot and you'll get a burnt taste (which I actually find quite nice).

4dotsasieni

Jan 6, 2013
"That sounds quite interesting. I have no idea where I'd find it though."
Actually, you can find it on Amazon. I recommend the Stash 16 ounce product.
And, of course, if you're lucky enough to live near a Chinatown, any of the tea or herbal shops will carry it.

msandoval858

Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
Lapsang is the latakia of teas. I absolutely love the smoky aroma and flavor of that tea and it pairs well with any latakia blend in existence (that I've tried thus far).
It's not as common in regular grocery stores but specialty places such as Whole Foods, World Market, etc. should be easy to find.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
There are a number of online tea dealers as well, if you can't find it locally. We picked some up from a vendor at a convention in Seattle (B. Fuller's Mortar and Pestle) who also blends teas with other herbs and botanicals - they do a Lapsang Souchong plus Peppermint tea called "Leprechaun". Sounds odd, but it works.

amiller

Might Stick Around
Jun 8, 2013
For just about any smoker I highly advise KuDing Tea or sometimes called Bitter Nail. It's technically herbal, does not contain any caffeine (for nights or something), and is very very bitter. It may sound awful but it's amazing, particularly for cleaning the palate between puffs.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Lapssang is one of my favorites as well. I "discovered" it about 20 yers ago. Twinnings makes in tea bags and even Wal-Mart has it. Most good coffee&tea shops carry it so it is readily available.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
I have been drinking Czar Nicholas aka Russian Caravan tea for a very long time. It contains this type of tea. That is one of the main reasons I thought that I might enjoy smoking a pipe. But I have found that I don't like latakia.
Winton

auslander

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 21, 2013
I read this thread a few days ago and yesterday was walking with my wife when we happened to pass a tea shop that I'd never noticed before. What a shop! Wall to wall tea and run by a lovely little old Deutsch woman. I bought some Lapsang Souchong and on advisement some Assam. I wouldn't really know if I'm a Latkia lover but I like to try new flavours so thought I'd give the tea a go.
Nice stuff wonderfully smoky with a slight sweetness as well.
I think I'll be revisiting that shop and trying more of tea varieties.
Good tip 4dot

marconbass

Lurker
Jun 16, 2013
Chicago, IL USA
I discovered Lapsang Souchong tea earlier this year and just love it. Found it online at Art of Tea. I'm gonna have to steep some when I get home this afternoon :)

Status
Not open for further replies.