PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jndyer

Lifer
Jul 1, 2012
Central Oregon
Well, about five months ago I delved into VaPer blends and have fallen in love with them. Then, last week I got my first tin of Kajun Kake and found that I could really taste and appreciate the influence of the perique on the blend, the a surprising thing happened, I am now better able to taste the perique in blends like PSLBF. Now, I am enjoying these new blends like never before. This makes me wonder what taste I will develop in the future, and which blends will come a live for me.
I would love to hear others experiences with this same awakening.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Interesting...... I had much the same experience with Oriental blends this year. I smoked a tin of Durbar and LOVED it. Then went on a spree........ Peretti's #40, Rajah's Court, EMP, and the McClelland's Oriental series. I didn't care much for the straight orientals, but for now, I really enjoy the complex blends, and picking out the ever changing flavors..... reminds me of a good cigar that changes through-out the smoke.............. :puffy:

B18

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2015
I had the experience last year... I Love VaPer blends. The really true hardcore and yummy VaPer that i had tried was C&D Bayou Morning. Love the pungent and spicy taste and peppery feel, but now i feel a bit empty when smoking other Vapers :( , i tried different VaPers from STG, HH, Dan tobacco, McClelland, kholhas & Kopp, but none gave me that real pungent taste or peppery feel.

I do still enjoy Vapers (40% of my cellar are Vapers), but the Bayou morning was the best untill now.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Yes. I had a very similar awakening to the taste(s) of perique. I think it happened after I smoked about a 1/2 a mini cob's bowl of straight perique from McLelland.

For about a day or two, I couldn't taste much of anything! hah hah

Since then, I've been able to discern and appreciate perique in existing blends and home made mixes with much more certainty.

It could be the result of having established a baseline for the flavor of VA and Burly beforehand, but yeah, I think you're right that more complexities will be revealed to 'our' taste buds and brains because of our newfound skill. Awareness of nuance? That sounds a little highfalutin, but it goes to the concept.

grue

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 9, 2016
VaPers are my go-to blends after a year of pipe smoking but I can't always "get" the perique in some bowls.

Having some OGS right now -I know, not much perique in it- though and I get a slight pepper. Yummy!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
While you're exploring VaPer blends, I recommend PC Russ O.'s Fire Storm, VaPer with a something(s) extra, very pleasing.

B18

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2015
US citizens have a lot of good luck to have so many blenders and retailers. EU has only limited places where you can buy online.

josephcross

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2015
My first perique experience was Solani 633, which was one of my first tobacco purchases. The first time I smelled/tasted the perique I was hooked. I do love that Kajun Kake, its something wonderful Imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.