PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
You might find this mildly interesting. It goes to show you the dangers of belonging to this forum, or more specifically the dangers to your bank account.

A couple of months ago, that worthy fellow, anthonyrosenthal, PMed me about a pipe he was sure I'd be interested on eBay, a Samhain/Halloween pipe by Peterson. Fool that I am I looked it up, wanted it immediately, and placed my bid at the last minute. I lucked out: no one counterbid, and I won the pipe for a good price for an estate in excellent condition. The band on it has embossed a witch on a broomstick with the words Peterson and Halloween encircling it. It turned out, when it arrived home, to be an excellent smoker, even though in the past I've been prejudiced towards saddle stem pipes. But Anthony knew I couldn't resist a Halloween themed pipe, knowing my tendency for the macabre. My problem now with this pipe is not giving it enough time to rest. Well, the solution to that was: get another, similar pipe. I did a search and the closest I could come was the Peterson St. Patrick 2013 pipe. So I bought that: it appeared to be the same model, but I would discover that the pipe was a fraction larger, had a slightly longer stem, but close enough for my needs. That pipe arrived today with some Dunhill baccys (I'm trying to learn how to smoke non-aeros). I think it's a marvelous pipe. I also recently discovered an Irish Harp version, but that pipe will have to wait until next month.

img_0737-600x586.jpg

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
Two fine-looking pipes. Those look like perfect clenchers, ideal for book reading and tablet surfing.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Nice Fred! I like the coloring and grain on the bottom one. I hope those Dunhill blends treat you right! :)

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I should mention that Cobguy kindly and laboriously packaged a number of non-aero tobacco samples to discover if any might strike my fancy, since virtually all my tobaccos are aeros, and they may be the cause of my chronic burning tongue. They were a nice selection, but I suspect I need to go to milder blends. Still, this doesn't detract from all the trouble Darin went through to prepare so many samples for me. He mentions Dunhill because I rather like EMP and thought I'd try some recommended tins of Dunhill and see how that works. Right now I'm smoking Standard Mellow as the first stage of my little experiment.

tppytel

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 23, 2014
Dangers? You ended up with two great Pete's! What could possibly be wrong with that? :)
Enjoy the pipes! I'm a huge Peterson fan myself. I own quite a few and find they smoke just as well as my Dunhills, Ashtons, Ferndowns, etc. at a fraction of the price. If you like the classic shapes, there's no better value than a Peterson in my experience.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I meant dangers to my finances: I can foresee myself wandering the streets begging for tobacco money so I can continue smoking my Petersons. :) No sooner than I think I have enough than another Peterson turns up that I just Have to have. Fully half or more of my pipes are Petersons. I'm now wondering what their churchwardens are like. I'm going to go broke!

tppytel

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 23, 2014
I know what you mean. But hey... I've got about a dozen pipes I smoke regularly plus a few oddballs. Five of my regulars are Petes. The way I see it, those 5 Petes are like just one Dunhill. Unassailable logic, obviously.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Thank God for the Drac line. Otherwise I would have not discovered the joy of a Peterson pipe until much later. But I don't honestly see how a Dunhill might smoke better than a Peterson. Must be a collector thing. I only buy pipes I'm going to smoke.

Jan 8, 2013
Beautiful pipes indeed Fred :) Lol, might I add that in appreciation for pointing out the Samhain Peterson to Fred, he kindly sent me not one, not two, but THREE tins of his beloved Molto Dolce! A blend I find that upon recieving, I really took a liking to. It does require some drying time as it's very very moist. Fred, that might be the source of your tongue bite right there if you're not giving it considerable time to dry. It is a very good aromatic blend though. Smells wonderfully and you can actually taste it! Fred those two Petes look wonderful side by side, and I hope they both smoke as well as my Petes. My 2013 St Patty, an XL90 shape similar to yours is my best smoker :) Enjoy the heck out of them. And I'm willing to bet the Samhain is booked for your Halloween smoke.

wilson

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2013
Very nice pipes. Since you are looking to expand your palate to non-aro's, an excellent latakia blend (but not over the top with latakia) is Peterson's Old Dublin, which would be fitting for your Pete's, I think.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Booked, you say? I'm renting it out! Thanks for the tip on MD and tongue bite. I'll have to try that. As for sending the MD, I got off cheap on both pipe and baccy. I would have paid more for both. So I am truly indebted to you. Although when I wind up in a homeless shelter because I spend too much on Petes, I may think differently... :( And Wilson, thanks for the tip on the tobacco, I will check it out. I've tried Peteron's University blend, and rather liked it. I imagine I'm JRR Tolkien when I smoke it.

Jan 8, 2013
Lol, let us hope it doesn't get so bad as that Fred. Nothing wrong with just cherishing the pipes you already have for awhile before making another purchase. I'd hate to see that happen to you... I don't think they allow smoking in homeless shelters.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
A couple of days ago, I participated in a sleep study at a local hospital to treat my sleep apnea. But they expected me to go to sleep a full three hours before I customarily take to bed. Alone, I might add. I commented on the ban on smoking on the grounds of a hospital, and the kind nurse allowed me to go to my car in a parking structure next to the hospital, so, armed with my trusty Peterson one-pipe carry-all, I went to my car to have a relaxing smoke. I might add that was about the only relaxation I had during the study. No one could possibly enjoy a decent night's sleep with all the wires they glue to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.