PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
Years ago I was in search of a cutty shape pipe and at the time I knew nothing of online vendors and forums so my local B+M was my only avenue. I found a Chacom mini churchwarden that had a cutty shape to the bowl but it was the closest I could find so I bought it. Last year I managed to snap the delicate long stem on it and into my box of "things to do later" it went. Last week I was digging through the box looking for something else and came across the long forgotten bowl and decided to take it in to my B+M and get a new stem for it, something shorter and more travel friendly this time. I picked it up today and my guy told me that he had accidentally cracked the shank!!! Then he pulled it out and showed me the pipe complete with its new band..... It looked awesome!! To add to this he then reaches into another drawer and pulls out a second Chacom cutty shape complete with original stem, one from the Tendance line as far as I can tell as stamping is quite worn, and says "These two need to be together." Needless to say I was flabergasted and thanked him profusely....... And then he dropped the bomb......

"Bad news" he said, "Due to new tax hikes the price of Capstan is now gonna be over $45 a tin and it just isn't worth bringing it in at that price." This means that my favorite Virginia will no longer be available to me locally anymore and I have to give myself to the Gods of online dealers and put myself at the mercy of the dreaded "Duty Enforcement Monsters".

Why must a ray of sunshine always be followed but some rain?!?

68957BA2-D587-4425-93F3-D6ED5245BAFD_zpsehrfhahb.jpg

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
your local B&M sounds like a keeper

Yeah, he's a great guy. Not sure what I'm gonna do if he closes shop, he is re-steming a Peterson Tankard for me as well. He has already stopped selling regular cigarettes as the taxs don't make it worth it. The big box companies can buy them at a lower cost due to quantity but it's legislated that they all have to sell at the same price so he is getting hammered by the 7-11's and the like. Jade's smoke shop has been here for over 40yrs and it's the last decent B+M left for pipe tobacco and cigars.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Those are great looking cutty's. As for the Capstan issue, I'm sure you'll find a solution although I'd ask your B&M for something akin to it. You need to support that shop.

Dec 24, 2012
Great story, except for the Capstan issue. If you smoke Capstan blue and need me to hook you up just let me know.

stvalentine

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2015
Northern Germany
Holy Moly! Over $35 for a tin of Capstan? Is that 100g or only 50g?

Here in the land of everything expensive (Germany) the 50g flake tin is just about 10 of our eurodollars..... 8O
BTW, those Cutties look grand and make want one too!

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
Holy Moly! Over $35 for a tin of Capstan? Is that 100g or only 50g?

That's for 50g.

If you smoke Capstan blue and need me to hook you up just let me know.

Thanks for the most generous offer Peck. I just got a half pound of PS Luxury twist and another half pound of PS long Virginia so I should be okay for a little bit. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.