PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Bagged tobacco can be pretty low on the pecking order, especially leaf sold as pipe tobacco but aimed as much at roll-your-own customers. About six years ago, my sister sent me a bag of Four Aces along with a tin of "better" tobacco she'd located after buying the Four Aces. I quickly smoked up the "good" tin, and kept the Aces around for the occasional puff. I'm reasonably sure this is entirely Virginia, from the color and smell. After a long time, I finally jarred it and taped part of the bag as a label on the outside of the jar. It sits behind a jar with my two packages of Semois on the top shelf of a bookcase. Today I had another bowl of Aces and find that aging has treated it well. It is mild, sweet, hay-flavored, and burns evenly. Not the raggedy old cigarette smell you might think. Some of what ends up in bags is good to better than that. I've just ordered a pound of D&R Two Timer burley, which is specifically pipe tobacco and in a higher category, perhaps. It came recommended by Cosmic and jiminks, so I am confident I'll like it, as a burley fan. Have you had any luck with bagged tobacco? Or not? I think I'll be going back to Aces for a bowl now and then, and probably dip into it for mixes as well, maybe with the Two Timer now and then.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I never tried 4 Aces, but I have had good luck with bagged tobaccos. No complaints here.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A while back, someone recommended OHM burley to me, a bagged tobacco, though I haven't tried it yet. I think selectively bagged blends can be good. Any other picks that might be good?

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I tried OHM Natural and Turkish Red, and was dissatisfied with both. I do like Smoker's Pride Mellow and the Rich as all day, comfortable work and play smokes. The SP Rum has a nice flavor, too.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The SP Rum sounds good; I generally like rum as a flavoring in aros. I think with the Four Aces, the fact that it aged for a while improved the experience, though I didn't treat it very well in storing it at first. I suppose it was snobbery because it came in a bag, but it's still good now.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
Huh, I never knew JimInks would enjoy bagged tobacco. I went and looked and sure enough, a lot of these tobaccos are reviewed by Jim and others. I'll have to think twice about writing off an entire genre of tobacco in the future.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
crash', some are worth a try, and the less they seem like RYO being passed off as pipe tobacco, the better. Usually, you just can't beat the price. jiminks is like the pipe smoker's CIA; you can learn from him info you won't learn any other way. You may not share his taste on this or that, but he is the most objective disinterested (not uninterested) reviewer I know of.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Thanks for the kind words, Tom. Here's a few more bag blends I recommend: Super Value English, SV Bourbon Whiskey, and Smoker's Pride Whisky.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Once I 'discovered' D&R's line and tried many of their blends, bags no longer cause me to disdain their contents.

I feel more like I'm burning tobacco rather than money.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I didn't include D&R blends in my list because it'd be a long list, and I have reviewed them all on a thread on this forum for those who missed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.