Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 31, 2012
Both of these pipes are totally beyond my reach, but I found the contrast interesting, both pipes are very similar, from around the same time period, and both auctions ended at roughly the same time.
It illustrates just how important a well-respected and known seller can make in the final price --- yeah I know this is common knowledge, but watching both these pipes and seeing their different fates kind of startled me...
The Coopersark pipe sold for $3,100 with 77 bids!

8O

http://www.ebay.com/itm/J-Alan-Sandblast-Ring-Grain-Dublin-Pipe-New-in-Box-COOPERSARK-NO-RESERVE-/231301666244?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=xIA%252BzkhNJJd6tMb51Xz2HsVb9VY%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

:

:

The jln2004 went unsold and could have been had for the $830 minimum bid,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Extrordinary-Unsmoked-J-Alan-Sandblasted-Billiard-with-925-sterling-/161393295587?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=xIA%252BzkhNJJd6tMb51Xz2HsVb9VY%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc
It's weird how this stuff works!

7TaM6njBc.jpeg

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Point well taken. It also points to the importance of presentation. Between the two listings, Coopersark's does a much better job of presenting the pipe. The photographs are done properly - well lit, light, sharp, detailed, giving you an excellent view of the item up for sale.

The other presentation does none of this. No lighting, focus is not sharp, no close up views, the pipe is not isolated in the frame, a couple of the shots actually make the pipe look dusty.
I've seen amateur sellers achieve excellent results. But they didn't present amateurish photos.

May 31, 2012
It also points to the importance of presentation.
No doubt, no doubt.

Perhaps the most important thing of all!
I was glad to see the paperwork too in the Coopersark auction,

never seen it before and its a pretty damn neat touch!

crimsonrat

Might Stick Around
Jun 3, 2014
I watched that dublin and actually threw a bid on it before it got out of hand. The ivory may have something to do with it, as I've watched a couple of ivory pieces go for higher than I expected here lately. The listing certainly helped, but you had 2 guys that HAD to have a dublin with ring grain, smooth top, and ivory.
Both of these had the original box, paper, and bag with them. There is a bit of tarnish on the billiard, but nothing huge. If I were in the market for another billiard, that one would be a nice addition.
@soymilkisgood Yay, we're friends!

hiplainsdrifter

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 8, 2012
Yep. Most Ebay pipe shoppers will bid much more readily on listings from the 'big gun' sellers- e.g. Great Estate Pipes, Pipestud, and Treasurepipes, regardless of listing details or photo quality. I have sold pipes on Ebay which went to one of the big sellers, and they flipped em for double the money, with now measurable differences in the listings. People like to feel safe, and these Ebayers provide great customer service.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I can't for the life of me get why anyone would pay that amount of cash for pipe number one.

Status
Not open for further replies.