PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lostandfound

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 30, 2011
This is probably the closest thing to a review I'll ever write, and it's in regards to OGS.
I got this tin a couple weeks back, along with a spare and decided to crack one tonight.

First of all, the tin odor was potent to say the least, which made me excited. :lol: It was dry enough to smoke now, and this added to my anticipation of finding a new favorite.
The charring light induced the familiar un-aged Virginia green-ness, but it seemed to be less sharp than others I've smoked. The high notes eventually began to decrescendo, and a smooth, sweet, creamy smoke ensued.
Then, just as I thought this tobacco was going *pop*, you know, open itself up and reveal the depths of its flavor... that sweet spot... Plllpppfff. The whole thing went flat. Horribly flat. I mean, I've experienced an ashy taste before, but this was just about as close to nothingness as you can get without entering a black hole.
Getting closer to the bottom of the bowl now, I can sense something lurking in the shadows... But what it is remains to be seen. Or tasted, rather.

lostandfound

Sep 30, 2011
I definitely will. It wasn't necessarily bad, but it was just such a definite and exact event, that I felt compelled to share. It was almost as if time and space ceased to exist, right before I was pulled head first back to Earth by the sudden disappearance of all flavor. Like a rubber band. Or the climax and resolution in a piece of music. Tension and release.

hfearly

Oct 11, 2012
Canada
I got this tin a couple weeks back, along with a spare and decided to crack one tonight.
Most probably, there's your "mistake" right there... OGS really does need some time alone, I recommend transfer to a roomy mason jar and letting it "air out" for a year. Fresh OGS can be really disappointing, while matured/age OGS is very delicious almost every time.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Some might consider this sacrilege, but I get more flavor from Virginia tobaccos using a 9mm filter pipe. I don't use filter pipes for any other type of tobacco, and I don't like Virginia's in an unfiltered pipe, because I get the "ashy" taste you describe. But I have come to enjoy Virginia blends in a Peterson 9mm filter pipe, using Big Ben filters. I tried Vauen filters, but it wasn't as good.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
When that happens to me -- and it's never happened with OGS -- I stop smoking the bowl and let it rest for half an hour or so.

I think it has something to do with how excess moisture washes-out the flavor. Apparently Lawrence also thinks it's a heat issue.

It could be related to the relative humidity in your locale. 2¢ deposited. :puffy:
BTW, I'm really delighted to read posts like this, where the experiences discussed bespeak "critical" smoking, or actually

thinking about the flavor. I think you're becoming an epicurean, lostandfound. :lol:

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Interesting. I've had that happen with VA flakes before, especially ones with bright VAs. I think it has something to do with smoking too fast and hot (it happens much less often for me now than when I first started smoking VAs).
I don't think your experience is unusual, though.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
I wouldn't describe OGS as dynamic, or complex, or even a powerhouse of a one dimensional flavor, but I've found it to be a decent, enjoyable smoke, even in it weather. That's fresh too. In fact, I thought it was decent enough that I've got 100 gr. open in a mason jar and two more tins just aging.
This was rubbed out (I know i know), and put in a large Dublin shape.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
I always age my OGS 3 months before trying, I find it can be a little harsh right out of the tin. I find the flavor to be one of the best straight VA's that I enjoy and also one of the cheapest. The only downside is it seems to bite a little more, like LBF does than FVF or MVF but I still love it.

lostandfound

Sep 30, 2011
I really thought it was pretty good, and the dissipation of flavor added an intriguing element.

undecagon

Oct 7, 2011
Chicago, IL
I'll look at the abreviation page here shorty, but without knowing, My first thought was that you're smoking a blend called " Only Good Sh!t"
:nana:

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
To my tastes fresh OGS has a hay like flavor that is very off putting to me. I have never tasted the alleged Perique in this blend and the last tin of it I did enjoy was last summer when I cracked a tin dated 1997. It had turned jet black and it was pretty tasty although, not as tasty as any of my other aged flakes. I find this blend to be kind of boring, nothing bad mind you but nothing great either. Long term age definitely makes it a lot better.

Status
Not open for further replies.