PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
I received a package from England containing St. Bruno, Condor and a couple of ounces of JF Germain Rich Dark Flake (RDF) . I had heard claims that RDF was not only similar to Stonehaven but may actually be the same tobacco.
On opening the pouch (I think RFD is a bulk blend), I did get the rich fruit cake like aroma - a mix of prunes, plums, raisins and perhaps a spirit topping. The tobacco was presented as loose flakes that crumble as easily as Stonehaven. However, Stonehaven comes in a tray of neat slices.
RDF lit easily after a single charring light, and needed little attention thereafter, producing nice billows with each sip. The flavor was very similar to Stonehaven though I've yet to try them back to back. This is a gentleman's smoke - refined and well melded.
Room note is unoffensive. I tried RDF in a poker, a bulldog and and my favorite Neerup apple/billiard. It was wonderful in all three.
Are these tobaccos the same blend sold under different trademarks? I don't know for sure but I wouldn't be blown away to find it true. I'm told Germain is behind both blends but haven't seen confirmation from an official source.
Is RDF an acceptable alternative to Stonehaven? You bet but don't get too excited if you live in the U.S. My sources tell me that finding RDF in Europe is as challenging as finding Stonehaven Stateside. And by the time you pay for taxes, shipping, conversions and other expenses, you'll spend about as much as you would for Stonehaven on ebay.
But is is a bootylicious blend. Pax

jarit

Can't Leave
Jul 2, 2013
I personally think it's the same tobacco with slightly different topping. Not many merchants in the UK carry it, but has always been available when I wanted to buy some.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
That pretty much sums it up. Both are made by Germains though RDF is sold as a bulk. With tax, etc, price will run about $120 for 8OZ. Both blends have the same treacle topping. When I compare the jar aroma of the two I detect a slight difference. Smoking flavor is identical to me.
Here are links to two threads, one on RDF, another a comparison between Stonehaven and RDF.
RDF
Stonehaven and RDF Compared Side By Side
So here's another ephemeral blend for the obsessed to chase. And all you'll need to do is battle another nation for it.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Nice, to know Jarit. I only got an ounce this order, not even two, as I mistakenly posted. But I already have a half pound of RDF on the way. Hmm, think I'll go outside and finish the bowl I started this morning.

owen

Part of the Furniture Now
May 28, 2014
I bought some because of another thread and its UK availability, lovely stuff.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I've smoked Stonehaven off and on, currently on, and have thus far failed to have a smoking experience anywhere near the amount of bother and money getting it entails. However when this happens, when I don't get a tobacco that most others love, the reason for my lower smoking award is me. I love the treacle smell more than find it in the smoke, which is fine of itself and for my enjoyment in taking a bowl, but I've never been catapulted into bliss. Maybe I have an attitude, which are easy enough to come by as I can be fickle about tobaccos. It seems I always in a fight with one or two.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I love the treacle smell more than find it in the smoke, which is fine of itself and for my enjoyment in taking a bowl, but I've never been catapulted into bliss. Maybe I have an attitude, which are easy enough to come by as I can be fickle about tobaccos. It seems I always in a fight with one or two.
The tin note is usually much better than the actual smoke with these. They're extremely finicky blends. Too much moisture and you get nothing in the way of flavor. Too little moisture and you get nothing in the way of flavor. Hit it just right and the flavor is amazing. Fold and stuff, you are getting only a fraction of the flavor. Rubbed out or cubed and the flavor is increased. Basically it's a pain in the ass. I'm happy to have some to enjoy, and I'm good for a few years with what I have as I don't smoke it often. Smoked too often the flavor becomes blah.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
While I love Stonehaven - and RDF - I, too, smoke them as special treats due to rarity and expense. I have yet to find a blend that I would be content with day in and day out for the rest of my life. For me, the variety in pipe tobaccos is one of the foremost attractions of our hobby.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Unfortunately I have yet to try either but am really excited to see what you think of the St Bruno.
Very different animals, but if I had to choose between Stonehaven/RDF and St. Bruno, it's a no brainer for me. St. Bruno hands down. MUCH more interesting flavors. Think I'll have me a bowl when I get home.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
It's not an alternative if it's equally expensive and hard to find
RDF is mucho more expensive than Stonehaven. With tax, it's more than $120 for 8 OZ from a tobacconist. That's about 3-4 times the price of Stonehaven bought from a tobacconist who isn't profiteering from the frenzy.

P

pipebuddy

I am still under the impression that Rich Dark Flake reminds me more, in aroma (especially) and taste, to SG's Full Virginia Flake than Esoterica's Stonehaven...

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
I am still under the impression that Rich Dark Flake reminds me more, in aroma (especially) and taste, to SG's Full Virginia Flake than Esoterica's Stonehaven...
Dagnabbit, now I'll have to see if I have a tin of SG FVF in the cellar and compare. This experimenting and comparing is why I usually have a coupleof dozen tins, pouches, jars and baggies open at any one time.

drennan

Can't Leave
Mar 30, 2014
Normandy
I've never smoked Stonehaven. I have smoked FVF and RDF, One is a straight Virginia and one is a topped VaBur and to me they taste poles apart.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Comparing FVF to either Stonehaven or RDF is like comparing apples to oranges. FVF is a completely different flavor profile: no burley, no treacle topping, less sweeter, stronger and earthier, and has a little more nicotine.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I've smoke both and find them nothing like. But, if they aren't dried out properly prior to smoking they taste like nothing, and in that sense they taste alike.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Hmm, the sample I have so far of RDF smokes brilliantly out of the bag. However, I'm going to let a bowl dry overnight and give it a shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.