PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
So every time I see a stack on the ebay, I think I want one. They look elegant to me. To clarify I'm talking about the shape of pipe that has a relatively short stem and a tall bowl in the shape of a smokestack, hence the name. For those of you that own or have smoked one of these, I am curious about the following.
How do these smoke?
Are they difficult to keep lit, or re-light, particularly when you get towards the bottom?
What tobacco do you prefer in these?
What are the best brands for these, I have seen Stanwell or Fribourg & Treyer, very classy.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
How tall are you talking about? Are we talking about a relatively tall billiard or one of those 60s Danish things that have like a 3-inch bowl?
If it's an ordinary stack billiard, yes, they can be a little tricky to keep lit. But once you get the hang of it, it's like riding a bike. I have a Georg Jensen stack that is really narrow and thin and is wonderful for concentrating the flavor of certain flakes. I say go for it.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
This is my Gabrieli double stack Dublin (that's the maker's description). It's a wonderful pipe and, as roth says, the quality of the pipe is very important; as with any pipe.

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
Yes like that, nice pipe. I'm going to keep my eye out for one. Thanks for the info.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
sallow, my Gabrieli was made by Dan Chlebove who is in Bethlehem,Pa. Wide open draw and an absolute dream to smoke. He calls it a double stack Dublin. It is the Pipe Of The Year for the B&M I go to. It is #2 of the limited run.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't have a stack per se, but a very deep poker. I have not smoked it quite enough to completely get the hang of it.

It certainly lights and stays lit, but I haven't found just the right tobacco. It seems to swallow the flavor filtering it through

that tall bowl, and it is difficult to smoke well down the bowl. I'm sure as I work with it, it will reveal some secrets.

This is an LaRocca (inexpensive) with carved rustication and a slightly bent stem. I spotted it at my local indy shop, and

left it there for weeks, then went back determined to buy it if it was still there. I think the tobacco is the key. For some

leaf, I think this is just right. I haven't discovered that yet. The best so far has been OTC, Granger in this case. Good flavor

but a certain amount of dottle left.

Status
Not open for further replies.