PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
My Porsche came with but one key. I lose keys and having a backup is absolutely necessary. It's a high security key with a computer chip inside without which the car won't start. So I call my local Porsche Dealer. Care to guess what a Porsche key costs?! Exactly!! It costs $500!!!! HOLY CRAP! I knew it would be expensive, but $500?!?! Know how much tobacco I could buy for that? $500 worth!!!

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
When I was a mechanic at a Land Rover dealership we had a saying....Its not that you can afford to buy a Land Rover, it's that you can afford to keep a Land Rover. Proper dealership maintenance costs on high end foreign cars are staggering to the uninitiated.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Tom, that's hilarious!!! I ordered a Porsche branded lanyard not seconds before reading your post!! Mediocre minds think alike!! ;)
I expected things to cost more and did my research on maintenance and prices. A $500 key just never occurred to me. :(

May 4, 2015
It has a lesser chance of getting lost if it's attached to your body!
I'm about 3 years away from a fanny pack. For real.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
The reason I request and have have received 2 spare keys with my vehicle purchases after the price is set in stone. Both Ford and Mercedes readily provided same. Chipped keys are expensive. The blanks are expensive and the equipment needed to program them also. Hard to find a locksmith who has made the investment. There are some though. I doubt they are much less expensive than a dealer.

tinsel

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
Welcome to the world of European cars ...
If you have time, go back to the thread where you were considering buying this car and be sure to thank all those guys who told you that European cars weren't any more expensive to maintain and repair than any other car :D
As Warren said, buying the key blanks from the manufacturer is expensive, and the software and tooling to program them is even more expensive. And of course you can't buy the anti-theft PIN codes to get into the theft system software unless you have an automotive locksmith's license, which is expensive, and requires that you carry special insurance and an "honesty bond" ... which is also expensive ... it goes on and on.
When I was a mechanic at a Land Rover dealership we had a saying....Its not that you can afford to buy a Land Rover, it's that you can afford to keep a Land Rover.
Good saying. I often like to say "The cheapest part of owning a European car is the original sale price."

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I just googled, a new key for my MKZ is about $80, but then it needs programmed...
this came up in my search:

http://www.replacecarkey.com/main.php?action=car&car=Porsche

May 4, 2015
Like I said in the other thread, man... You should start a GoFundMe to raise money for another key.
"Help me buy a spare key for my Porsche!"
I'm sure it would do gangbusters.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
They come new with 2 keys. If you bought it from a Porsche dealer I would ask that dealer to get you another key. That's what I did and they obliged.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
The maintenance costs I'm very familiar with. There's no surprises there. I did my research on maintenance costs. I just bought a comprehensive warrantee on the car so other than routine maintenance, they pay for all problems. I bought the car from an owner, not a dealer. The other key is in India with his ex wife and is unlikely to turn up.
Al, THANK YOU! After a few phone calls, I MIGHT have found a less expensive option inspired by your post.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
While perusing an online authorized Porsche Parts shop I came upon the exact same mats I have in my car. They had them on closeout for $35 a pair!!!!! Porsche branded car rugs for $35!!!!!! My first and likely my only sub $500 Porsche branded purchase!!!

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
You have terracotta mats in a sand beige interior????? I replaced my sand beige mats (kept them in case I sell the car, they're still not too shabby) with "natural brown", which is a darker shade but still in the yellow-hue base. Terracotta is reddish-hue based. Suncoast is a great source, and very helpful and honest. If the color combo gags you when you see it they'll probably take the mats back even on closeout.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Awesome! I saved the link in case I lose a key myself.
I splurged and bought a set of Weather-Tech molded floor mat liners. They fit perfectly and I'm good to go in winter snow/slush,etc.

crusader

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2014
Nebraska
You may want to check these out. Fairly cheap and I got ours at Home Depot. We are giving them to our techs at work because they like to leave their drill drivers in the customers units they work on and then can't find them.

https://www.thetileapp.com/key-finder-app

Status
Not open for further replies.