PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Those being, 1) the itsy-bitsy, teeenie-weenie, microscopically small, designed-for-gnats-ants-and-mosquitoes font size; and 2) the Edit Timeout Lockout Of Doom.
It turns out the first one is easy to deal with. No need to send a cruise missile to the corporate HQ of the software company after all. Just hold down the CONTROL key and press the "+" key if you're a Windowser; or the COMMAND key and press the "+" key if you're an Appleizer. Each tap of the + will enlarge the page by a noticeable amount, allowing you to "tune" what you see. The change only affects the site you're in, and then "undoes" itself when you leave. Quick, easy, simple.
(The ETLOD has no known cure at this time. Only a selectable delay. Why the software designer chose that instead of the infinitely more civilized edit time stamp annotation that every other bb package in the Universe uses is a mystery. Perhaps a cruise missile fly-by will get their attention?)
And yes, I know that "sites" in the title should have an apostrophe. But guess what? It can't be edited, either. :evil:

Edit: Capitalized words in thread title, and added that apostrophe for ya. ~Didimod :D

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
The edit time used to be fifteen minutes. Then we had some problem members who would go back and edit posts when someone would complain to cover their tracks. Currently the cutoff is ten minutes.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
GeorgeD, if I recall correctly the edit time was changed to its current time configuration after some shenanigans amongst members that involved a pissing contest and dick measuring. For the record, I have zero problem with the edit time.
Edit; Duane beat me to it.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
For the record, I have zero problem with the edit time.
I'm guessing you didn't grow up with a language professor for a father who quizzed his kids---starting five minutes after they were born---at random times (dinner was a favorite) about grammar, spelling, punctuation, and so forth, become an adult in the Internet Age, write posts occasionally to a pipe forum, and notice AFTER ten goddam minutes that something you'd written contained a typo, misspelling, or significant grammatical error, then.
Again, just guessing. :lol: :lol: :lol: No special reason I'd think that, understand.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
GeorgeD, that's not my case. I generally post, see if I massively screwed up, make edits and then let it be,
My technical reports get way, way, more scrutiny, but this isn't that.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Nope, but I am that way about organizing. Grew up with a mother that would slap you across the face for something slightly out of place. I've caught myself unconsciously readjusting things.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
A solution for one of this sites two biggest aggravations
A Solution for One of this Site's Two Biggest Aggravations.
Some would have us capitalize all articles in a title: Boo. This one is tricky, the one George wrote- caps omitted on purpose?

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
:lol:
I was thinking of code-induced aggravations, not human ones.
(fwiw, I truly "get" the caps thing in the consistency/neatness sense, but thread titles are NOT all headlines---this one isn't, for example---so don't worry about it then.)
Not that I could change it after the fact in any event. :lol:

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Nope, but I am that way about organizing. Grew up with a mother that would slap you across the face for something slightly out of place.
Ouch. :evil:
My dad didn't get nasty about it, he just never surrendered or relented. Language was his life.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Sorry, rules is rules haha. And it was edited before I saw ur post...
You're one of those grown-ups who won't let kids eat their dessert first, aren't you?

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Sorry, rules is rules haha. And it was edited before I saw ur post...
Well, do we really have to hew to one interpretation of Google search algorithms, i.e. The more caps the higher the ranking.
Let's have some class. Screw Google. It's doubtful that erroneous capitalization improves ranking, so let's do it right! There are 3-5 incorrect capitals in the edited title. Which ones I leave it to you, but please change it asap! It hurts my eyes as is.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Here's one possibility:
"A Solution for one of this Site's Two Biggest Aggravations"
And another:
"A Solution for One of this Site's Two Biggest Aggravations."

Status
Not open for further replies.