PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
A while back member @shikano53 posted the following thread titled "Kinda Sorta Successful Use Of My Seventh Chunk Of Briar AKA FUGLY" (link below)
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/kinda-sorta-successful-use-of-my-seventh-chunk-of-briar-aka-fugly
I thought it was a good looking pipe and posted a sarcastic note of enthusiasm, and received a PM offer for this pipe, I was amazed and quickly accepted the offer and on Monday the pipe arrived, a beautiful piece it is, I appreciate the maker's decision to leave the plateau virgin, it does look good with a plain crown, and the grain of the wood is beautifully lightly stained, I wont go into too much detail on size as that was done in the makers thread but the weight is slightly less than my MM Mark Twain cob. The brass inset makers mark is a nice touch, placed just between the side and top, Id say about the 10 O'Clock position.
I've been awaiting the arrival of this pipe and thinking of what Tobacco to smoke in it, I developed a plan to smoke my normal blends thru the week and finish with something special. I had on average 4 smokes each day with my regular blends and this evening I had GL Pease Haddo's Delight that was sampled to me by @pipesmokingtom.
Like most freehands this is no small pipe, however it is surprisingly light, easy to clench as I work, or just sit and relax, it has a few flaws as described by the maker and I think it adds to the personality of the pipe,

the finish is beautiful, the stem alines properly and fits well, a pipe cleaner passes with ease and I can find no fault with the drilling. The smoke is great, draws easily, relights are the same as my regular pipes with these blends with no gurgling.
Overall I would say this is a great pipe and a fantastic smoker, the few maker flaws give it originality although hard to identify unless you look for them. If this is Chris's 7th attempt at pipe making I cant wait to see what next year brings, well done Sir, well done. I foresee a commission pipe in the future.
I have to thank Chris for this wonderful gift and a great pipe I will enjoy for years.
imag0360-428x600.jpg

imag0359-515x600.jpg

imag0361-600x468.jpg

imag0362-336x600.jpg

imag0363-437x600.jpg

stickframer

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2015
Great stuff.
I haven't seen much of Chris on the forum lately. Maybe I missed some stuff. Either way I think it's awesome he's making pipes.
Pagan, I enjoyed the review. :puffy:

I have a Bjarne that looks a lot like that, beautiful, IMO. I love to smoke Latakia and dark fired in it. A great lunting about pipe. The cool part is I don't have to worry about keeping the top clean. I keep the cake down inside, but the creep just oozes up and over the edge and melds with the plateau. It's cool looking, and gives me an awesome smoke, especially on a cool evening outside.

Congrats, and may she bring you much smoke.

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
Pagan, thank you for the review; you're too kind.

Stickframer; No I haven't been on much. Lots of grave things going on right now here. Suffice it to say I find great solace in being able to go out to the garage in the evening and surround myself with the clutter around my workbench and work away into the night.

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
Update;

This morning I enjoyed some more Haddo's Delight and later I had some Blockade Runner in this pipe, nice big bowl loves these blends, I have smoked BR for some time but this pipe pipe brought on a new experience, I am not filling the bowl to the rim because Im trying to protect the unfinished plateau
Thru the week I had smoked my regular rotation, mostly codger blends, 1. to break in the pipe and 2. because these are my everyday smokes and Im familiar with the characteristics of each smoke and would pick up on differences or problems with this freehand, I found none.
I am overjoyed and look forward to more work from Chris.
imag0365-600x313.jpg

Cliff_K

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 5, 2016
Ferron, Utah
I agree with Anthony, nothing fugly about that pipe and a very nice review pagan. I love seeing the pipe members.

Cliff_K

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 5, 2016
Ferron, Utah
Edit. I meant to say, I love seeing the pipes members make. I guess I need to proof read a but better hehe.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
I like the looks of it! Good job on the maker and good score for the smoker!! :clap: ...

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
Last few nights I've had some Bagpiper's Dream and now enjoying Bailey's Front Porch in this Freehand, I've come to the conclusion that this is a great pipe :puffpipe:

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
I have smoked Magnum Opus, Fusilier's Ration, Chelsea Morning, Sixpence and Lane Medal of Valor in this pipe he last few weeks, no problems, this freehand loves all blends. Thanks again Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.