PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
To clear the palate after a meal, or if a glass of water does not make my mouth feel ready for a smoke I have a slice of apple before a bowl, it works for me and thought I may as well throw it out here into the great abyss of the interweb.

Maybe someone who knows about mouth/body/tobacco PH levels can actually provide some science around this...
Isaac

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
I once read an article which suggested to eat an apple before making a long presentation. It prevented your mouth from becoming dry by increasing saliva production. Maybe that's somehow related. Probably extra saliva washes off the tongue. And the article said not to drink a coffee before the presentation as it will dry your mouth.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The texture of apples tends to scour out the teeth and gums and leaves things clearer for the next course or a smoke.
Incidentally, I've heard some very strict wait persons in France will not serve any further food once a person has lit a smoke. To them, the smoke is the finale of the meal and ends any further food service. I'm sure there have been some fist fights about that, but that's the sentiment. With the French, food and the tobacco following it are high religion.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
Never heard of a slice of apple as a palate-cleanser. Just lemon sorbet, as they serve in fine restaurants between courses. I have heard of a slice of apple in a humidor to keep the tobacco from drying out. Of course that was back before internet forums declared pipesmoking "a hobby", and self-proclaimed "experts" created the new rule that all tobacco must be dried before smoking :D

Status
Not open for further replies.