PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
As many people know, I often lament the difficulty of being a smoker in Vancouver, Canada. Of the collection of municipalities that makes up the Greater Vancouver Area, all but one have completely banned smoking in places of business and public locations such as parks. I am fortunate enough to live in the municipality which does still allow for smoking; however we often travel to the neighbouring communities for attractions like beaches and hiking.

A couple of weeks ago, we took one such trip to the neighbouring municipality of Coquitlam; ostensibly to spend a day at the beach. I left unprepared, as I did not expect to be able to smoke; however much to my chagrin I discovered this awaiting me at the enterance to the beach!

You can guess where my family will spend our next day at the lake...
IMAG0317.jpg

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
An outdoor smoking section? Might as well be a no smoking park to me.
I refuse to smoke in an invisible box I'm not allowed to smoke beyond.
Hopefully I'm misreading the picture and this is a "SMOKE ANYWHERE YOU LIKE" sign eh?

joshy

Might Stick Around
Aug 26, 2011
I've zoomed in as far as I could and all I could decipher was "*long word* Smoking *short word*" lol.
Joking aside. If that is some sort of outdoor "you have to stay in the spot to smoke" then I'm sorry, but smoke doesn't stay very still.
Blah.. It's outdoors. If people have issues with smelling/secondhand smoking or whatever they have all the room in the world to move. Smoke, Fart, blow some bubbles. It's outdoors and that stuff doesn't stick around very long :P

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
I think I've mentioned this before, but I was sitting on a bench outside the Bass Pro Shop, out in Manteca, CA, a few weeks back and a lady came out and started chatting with some friends. After a couple of minutes, she asked me if it was okay if she smoked and I told her we were outside, and I believed you should be able to smoke out there without anyone bothering you about it. She seemed quite happy with my progressive attitude.

theotherspace

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 15, 2011
Liverpool, UK
We haven't gone that far yet here (UK/Ireland), the only outdoor site we can't smoke on are hospitals & govt buildings. I have non smoking friends who complain about "running a gauntlet" of smokers outside pubs etc but here is hoping it doesnt stretch to parks, streets or beaches.

bigmike

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2012
@Schmitz - I'll be traveling to Vancouver in Mid-September and spending a couple of days there staying downtown. Is there any place close by I can enjoy my pipe?

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
I have smoked my pipe in "no smoking" parks without being bothered. Most of the no smoking laws seem to be directed at cigarette smokers who like to treat the world as one giant ash-tray. I'm against them, too.
Try ignoring the signs and see what happens.

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
@Schmitz - I'll be traveling to Vancouver in Mid-September and spending a couple of days there staying downtown. Is there any place close by I can enjoy my pipe?
In the city itself, I actually have never faced a problem smoking in Stanley Park / Kits / Jericho / English Bay - but if the by-law guys catch you, it's a $500 fine. As for restaurants and pubs, you are pretty much SOL; three to six meters from any doors, windows or air intakes leaves the middle of the road as the only place you can light up. For the most part, they tend to leave me alone (once they discern I'm not smoking pot); but on occasion you come across someone with something to prove.

The Vancouver Pipe Club meets at the 'Cedar Cottage' in East Vancouver; it's one of the few pubs that can still offer a smoking patio - although you have to go the self-serve route. Unfortunately, most of our arenas and concert halls have gone the complete no-smoking route - even worse, if you leave, you can't get back in.
As for the suburbs; most of the tobacconists offer a picnic table outside you can smoke at. There are also a few hookah bars which will allow you to smoke a pipe; so long as you are somewhat discreet. Port Coquitlam, as I alluded to, is the only municipality which still offers free reign to smoke outdoors - although smoking areas like the one pictured above are popping up more and more.
Finally, there is always my patio (or den, weather dependant) - if you find yourself with some free time I would love to get together for a pint and a bowl or three!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I smoke outside wherever and whenever I want. I don't care if my favorite beach has no smoking signs, I am smoking. I don't know a single police officer who would waste his time writing a ticket to someone smoking where they shouldn't.

shawn622

Lifer
Jul 22, 2012
Mount Sterling, Ohio
Here is my big question about smoking bans.... They say that second hand smoke is horrible for your health. Both of my parents smoked indoors with windows closed. Also in cars and very rarely in the winter or rain did they ever open the windows at all. Well, I never had any health issues. I was a Fullback/Linebacker that never came off the field and was never winded or whatever. I was never out of school sick. I fail to see second hand smoke hurting anyone really. The bar bans get me. A bar/pub/club is where you go to smoke and drink. I cant imagine a smoke free bar. Oh, I quit drinking before the smoking bans. So.. What are they improving by enforcing smoking bans????

Status
Not open for further replies.