A Sight To Bring Tears To The Eyes: 45,000 Barrels Of Bourbon Wasted!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-us-canada-48862621/jim-beam-warehouse-fire-destroys-45000-barrels-of-bourbon
What an awful waste.....thankfully no one was hurt though.
Regards,
Jay

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
In other news, law enforcement reports about 450,000 fewer DUI's and drunken disorderly arrests this year....
jay-roger.jpg

Reactions: mawnansmiff

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
In other news, law enforcement reports about 450,000 fewer DUI's and drunken disorderly arrests this year...
Haha, wouldn't it be nice if that's how it worked? Unfortunately if T-Bob and Cleatis can't get their Beam, I'm sure they'll get their kicks with Old Crow, High Times, or some other budget rate backwoods hillbilly sauce. That way they have enough money for 13 drinks, but not a cab ride home....
In actuality though, most DUI offenders in Alaska are actually middle to upper class well to do folks who are just too arrogant to obey the law. They'll go spend $200 on 6 barrel aged craft sours for $10 a glass, and a few Macallan 18s then drive home blaming our shitty public transportation system or the expensive overnight downtown parking.
Sorry if I sound rude or stereotypish, this is just a real sore spot with me. Living in a state with one of the highest incidences of DUIs, including many deaths per year, it is just very frustrating to see how soft the punishment is, and how soft people's attitudes toward it remain.
My opinion? A month of jail time for each .01 over the limit. Double it for second offenses, 3 strikes, license gone for life. You are playing russian roulette, but pointing the gun at other people in addition to yourself. The punishment should fit the crime.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"My opinion? A month of jail time for each .01 over the limit."
PLEASE Alaskanpiper, let us not politicize this story...that's how threads get closed down. You're a newcomer here so perhaps you're not aware of the Forum rules?
Regards,
Jay.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
PLEASE Alaskanpiper, let us not politicize this story...that's how threads get closed down. You're a newcomer here so perhaps you're not aware of the Forum rules?
I am aware of the forum rules regarding politics. I guess I just didn't see this as a political statement, and considered it more like a rant about an anomalous lack of common sense regarding a life and death issue, but perhaps I am incorrect. I suppose there may be some members who think driving under the influence is perfectly acceptable so please accept my apologies.
No intention of turning this into some sort of argument, just an issue that I am particularly passionate about being so close to it on a daily basis. Again, please accept my apologies.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Sorry if I sound rude or stereotypish, this is just a real sore spot with me. Living in a state with one of the highest incidences of DUIs, including many deaths per year, it is just very frustrating to see how soft the punishment is, and how soft people's attitudes toward it remain.
Sorry, but I really don't care. The more draconian the rule, the more ways around it.
You have your vices and I have mine.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Sorry, but I really don't care. The more draconian the rule, the more ways around it.
You have your vices and I have mine.
Well, mawnansmiff, you were correct, apparently my comments were more political than I thought. Despite being sorely tempted to respond to the above comments, I will refrain from doing so in an effort to keep your thread limited to its original intent.
Sorry again.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
At least it was bourbon and not good whiskey.
I like Bourbon. Just not Jim Beam, there are some good ones out there. Woodford, Elmer Lee, etc. But to each their own. I do like scotch more...but I like em all, even rye and irish.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Ol' Jim and I landed in the drunk tank several times in the late 80's.
He may be cheap and sleazy but he's a lot of fun running amok on an Army private's salary.
The Captain Black Grape of the whiskey world, but they sure sell plenty of both... :lol:
jay-roger.jpg

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
Would Jack Daniels be considered a Lakeland, with that soapy thing going on?

I like some cheap bourbons like Jim Beam and Jack Daniels. Or is that not technically a bourbon?

I also like cheap irish whisky like Jameson and Tullamore Dew.

For some reason I can't stand cheap scotch. I treat myself to an expensive bottle now and then, but for cheap, I'll take irish and american.

chilipalmer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 24, 2017
A couple of things...

If you're a bourbon fan, the loss of a Jim Beam warehouse is a monumental tragedy. Jim Beam makes many different bourbons including: Old Grand Dad, Baker's, Bookers, Basil Haydens, and Knob Creek. I haven't seen any of the news stories mention which labels were affected. So, depending on your preferences, that warehouse fire could be really bad.
As to Jim Beam being "cheap," I will only say this, much more often than not, bourbon prices reflect availability not quality. That is not an opinion. That is a fact. Sadly, bourbon is the "it" drink of the week and loads of new labels are popping up. Being a native Southerner, I was given bourbon from the time a could hold a cup, so, all the hoopla doesn't really get me too excited, but, if you're new, my one suggestion would be to start with the oldest labels you can find, such as Jim Beam, and go from there. As with pipe smoking, try different varieties until you find what you like. Then, stock up and enjoy. :-D
Lastly, Workman, Jack Daniels and, my preferred George Dickel, are "Tennessee Whiskey" not bourbon. The sole difference between the two being Tennessee whiskey is filtered through charcoal and bourbon is not.
Cheers,
Chili

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
Yeah I thought I had heard something about Jack D. not being bourbon.

Thanks Chili.

In my neck of the woods, place in the world, country or whatever, bourbon is not very common. So I have never seen a higher grade Beam.

Only once have I tasted a very vintage, very high end, very cask strength bourbon of, if memory serves me right, 72% alc. (144 proof) I can't recall the maker, this was 10-15 years ago, but the bourbon was strangely smooth and flavorful given it's high alc volume, and that's when I discovered that there's more to bourbon than what's on the shelves around here.

chilipalmer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 24, 2017
Workman,
Living far north of bourbon country, I am not surprised it's difficult for you to acquire. You should probably relocate. ;-)
Personally, my problem with Jim Beam (white label) is that it is a 4 year old bourbon bottled at 80 proof. The minimal age makes it "thin" on the palate and the lower alcohol level makes it seem "dull." This is not to say that Jim Beam is inferior. Similar young, low proof bourbons and Scots whisky produce a similar experience. That aside, the flavors of Jim Beam are all correct and there's nothing really "wrong" with it.
For me, bourbon really hits its stride at 90 proof and I keep several different labels on hand; each with its own purpose. For instance, mint juleps require Maker's Mark, cocktails need punch so a high rye bourbon like Bulleit fits that bill. For general mixing, Bulleit, George Dickel 10year, and Jim Beam's Devil's Cut serve well. For sipping, Colonel E. H. Taylor, Knob Creek, Elijah Craig, and Woodford Reserve all perform admirably.
Barrel proof selections are really hit or miss because they come from one barrel and the flavor may vary wildly from bottling to bottling. They also require restraint, due to their elevate alcohol content. There is a reason people where I come from refer to bourbon as "bust head" and refer to someone's day-after suffering as "barrel fever." As an aside, if you ever see another, note that the barrel information is on the label. That information will let you know if your next bottle is from the same or a different barrel.
Bourbon is as broad a field of study as Scotch whisky. I suspect the Scots would agree because most if not all Scots whisky is aged in bourbon barrels! No, I'm not joking. :-D
Cheers,
Chili

Status
Not open for further replies.