PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
Forum member clickklick was kind enough to send me a sample of the 1996 vintage of McCrannie's Red Ribbon which I was very happy to receive being a fan of RR. The appearance of this vintage was a little rougher in cut than the 2008 which I have come to know and love and also darker although I assume that is due to aging. I loaded into my Chacom Maya Zulu and had a nice enjoyable smoke. The classic red Virginia flavors are all there but this bowl was the very definition of smooth and delicate. The vinegar and acidity are there but very mellow and danced in and out as I smoked. Lemon citrus notes along with a pronounced sweetness were the dominant impressions but a myriad of other hints of wood, hay and earthy leather presented at times. There was an overall creaminess and hints of vanilla. Surprisingly, I feel the blend may have mellowed a bit too much as it lacks a bit of oomph of newer vintages. Of course this part is purely subjective and the bowl was delicious. A big thanks to clickklick for the opportunity to try this.

hiplainsdrifter

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 8, 2012
THat '96 is spectacular, nice review. I preferred its smoothness to the '08, but both are good- I am guessing the 2000 is peaking about now, I should open a tin!

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
Mellowing can be subjective, more nuanced and subtle flavors can develop, but that full flavor kick can be nonexistent. Glad you enjoyed it! I found that the creaminess to outmatch any other blend I've tried to date.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
I found that the creaminess to outmatch any other blend I've tried to date.

Indeed, the smoothness of this bowl was unmatched. While I do like a little more acid, the flavors where completely uninhibited and there were some distinct interplay that I have not noticed in the newer vintages. Were I to stumble on a tin, I would purchase without hesitation. Thank you again for the opportunity.

escioe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 31, 2013
I smoked a tin of the 1996 last year, and am smoking a tin of the 1983 right now. Both are swell.
Remember too that these are single-crop tins, so comparing the 1996 to the 2000 is sort of an exercise in futility.

Status
Not open for further replies.