PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmsutton

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2014
What would you men, and perhaps ladies, say the most 'rounded' or 'heavy' blend you've ever smoked would be? I love blends that are just really 'heavy'. I'm not sure if I'm using the correct terminology... so I'll try an analogy.
Some blends that I have tasted have been like a salad: filling if you eat enough, you can have things added or taken away to taste, but still light. Then there is a big, juicy, thick steak. Like a big porterhouse or ribeye that is peppery and heavy. One big steak can fill you up for a while, and when it is grilled and marinated correctly, it can satisfy for a long time.
So I'm wondering what the 16oz steak of pipe tobacco blends for you would be? I have tried many English blends, but haven't ventured too far into balkaans. Maybe that's where I'm missing out?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I like non-aro burleys like Old Joe Krantz, Billy Budd, and Big 'n Burley from C&D. I also like Tobac Manil Semois, the Belgium burley variant. With these blends, i feel I've had a full "meal."

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
mso489 is right there with those blends. I'd add in GLP's - Triple Play, it's a great VA/Per with a good deal of Dark Fired thrown in. Outstanding blend.

torque

Can't Leave
May 21, 2013
I love blends that are just really 'heavy'.
I think I know where you are coming from on this one. When I want something in that vein Peterson Irish Flake will usually scratch my itch. If you haven't tried it yet then pick up a tin, it might be exactly what you are looking for. Very satisfying but also very smooth, refined and delicious at the same time.

james80

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 16, 2012
Dunhill Nightcap, Irish Flake, Mick McQuaid Plug and G&H ropes. All heavy but very satisfying.
If you want to bring it down a level Erinmore Flake, Unversity Flake, Irish Spring Flake.

jmsutton

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2014
My friend suggested Dunhill's "Yatch Club" and "Nightcap". Thanks, all, for the suggestions. Keep them coming!

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
I haven't tried it yet, but perhaps others can comment, Captain Earle's Ten Russians?

Status
Not open for further replies.