PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Yes, this pipe is listed as a hand carved round shank, Canadian briar pipe on the auction site.

I know that we would typically refer to a long round shanked pipe as a Lumberman, but this pipe IS a Canadian, since it is made there. Just look at this birdseye!

This is another one from Shikano53. Nice looking pipe, Chris!

s-l1600.jpg

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I am sure you're right Duane.

My sense is that the Canadian shape has an oval shank, and I suppose the Liverpool to be a form of the Lumberman?

Primary similarity is the long shank.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
Awesome Canadian, Congratulations!
What I like so much about the long shanked billiards is all that extra grain.
According to the volumes of information I've read, there are no strictly applied naming conventions when referring to long shanked pipe shapes.
However a Canadian pipe typically refers to a billiard with a long oval shank and a short, tapered or fish tail stem. When a saddle bit is used it becomes a Lumberman, however some simply refer to it as a Canadian with a saddle bit. What these two versions of a Canadian have in common is the billiard bowl with a long oval shank.
Conversely, when speaking of Lovats and Liverpools the shank is always round, though often not as long as on the Canadians, and the Lovat is fitted with a short saddle stem, whereas the Liverpool has a tapered or fish tail stem.
Fortunately none of this really matters, as a long shanked briar, in my book, simply makes for a very attractive pipe.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I am sure you're right Duane.

My sense is that the Canadian shape has an oval shank, and I suppose the Liverpool to be a form of the Lumberman?
You are right about a Canadian's shank. I was always under the impression that a lumberman had a saddle bit, and the Liverpool had a tapered one. Very lovely work by Chris regardless though. He is getting really good.

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
Thanks folks and great information for me to copy into my growing file of applied pipe stuff!

Davet, I hope you don't mind, I copied that photo for reference.

Duane, a Liverpool it shall be from here on next go round.

DottieWarden, If it's OK with you I also copy pasted your information as well. Thank you!

I'm working on a set of three Maple Liverpools on the bench with a rosewood ring at the shank/stem interface. They will be called, The Calgary, The Edmonton, and The Red Deer. I'm an Alberta boy.

Mark, I hope that freehand is still smoking OK for you man!
Here is a pic of 'The Calgary' in progress with the Rosewood ring in place

bWXldb0.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That's a handsome long shank pipe by any name. I think the Canadian family are the stateliest of pipe shapes. I have oval shank Canadians by Stanwell, Johs, and Benton/Edwards as a stamped Iwan Ries Algerian briar house pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.