PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
An older Rossi has just arrived. An interesting piece of wood here. Cleaned up nicely and smokes well with a wide open draw.

From This:

mrcpw7.jpg

To This:

24mb5ns.jpg

2mxjwnl.jpg

153w7pf.jpg

344xe1i.jpg

2psp1dl.jpg

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Lot's of character right there. I hope it becomes your secret weapon/perfect smoker. I like it.

I hope a cleaner passes? It looks as if it might potentially be a problem. Still, I'd be ok with knocking it down once in awhile.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
That's a very nice piece. The Rossi factory closed in it's 99th year in 1985. Savinelli took over the brand sometime after that. So, if your pipe is pre-1985 it's a family made pipe which makes it even cooler. Enjoy.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
thanks papipe', I was wondering when Rossi passed along to Savenelli. Very nice pipe. Don't worry about the pipe cleaner passing through; many bent pipes won't do that, in fact, from my experience, more won't than will. You just get that part of the airway when you break it down, as noted. Never been a problem.

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
I feel very confident its a pre-1985 for sure judging by the "Rossi" shield. The is no problem running a cleaner thru it even leaving the stem on. I'm still learning its characteristics on how to smoke it but Im doing pretty good with it. Havent smoked another pipe since I first fired it up. I'm very pleased with the way it smokes, quite the open draw, and love the way the stem feels on puffing. Ive yet to smoke any Latakia blends in it holding it for the aged Virginia's and non ghosting style tobaccos.

I so want to put in some of my Mac Baren HH Vintage Syrian in it though. Right now its hands down my favorite pipe. Its moved up past my Savinelli bent I think.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Good eye, Hawke, and you did a killer job on the resto.
I love a thick walled burner, they always make for a cooler smoke.
Enjoy this old soldier, bub.
Fnord

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
Just saw a similar Rossi on ebay which is a "SPECIALE" as well and has the extended stem so I would say this confirms that it is original and not added. Would like to have had it but was twice the price the other. The above has become my favorite smoker.
axgt2g.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've watched the Savenelli production with Rossi pipes and feel like your pipe is pre-1985. The Rossi line seems to be pretty much Sav shapes finished in rustication or matte finishes. They are priced less, but not a lot less, than the lower end Savs. I think it's a good line of pipes and a good way to use the briar that might not quite fill the Sav requirements but are still fine smokers. I have one of the old unstamped unfinished Sav seconds, and several stamped unfinished Savs. The unstamped pipe has a few more fills, but is really nice, light and graceful billiard. But I think your Rossi is one of the old line, and the extension seems to be a sort of specialty of the brand. For pipe fanciers, I think it is a really nice piece to own, and apparently an excellent smoker on top of that. It's a keeper.

Status
Not open for further replies.