PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
This is the Ropp sent to me by SnowyOwl. He also sent me a chunk of Pirate Cake and 3-4 ounces of Dark-fired. A wonderful surprise in all. Thank you, again. The bowl size is perfect for short smokes} in this frigid weather.
The GBD is Conquest Granitan 262 with an inline London England stamp and a brass rondell. It came in its original box and looks unsmoked. The box is Brown with 2 white stripes and GBD, famous since 1850 printed on it. Anyone have any idea on dating this one?
2018-12-17-23-02-14-600x464.jpg

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
Great pipes; lovely stains.
I’m not much of a GBD expert, but think the Granitan was introduced around 1964 (plus or minus a bit), and continued to be made at least through the 1980s, although not necessarily in the Conquest size. Any other info whatsoever on the box (eg price, Oppenheimer address, etc)?

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
I have similar model of GBD's but smooth Prestige conquest,wonderful smoking machines.One thing I still wonder,why we here in Europe aren't seeing too much of those pre Cadogan era GBD's despite the fact those were produced in England,was they all for export,Huh?

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
I will pass the stem question to the main board if this one does not get answers.
The GBD stem smells like hard rubber but that is all I can tell about it. The Ropp stem has no smell when I rub it.

snowyowl

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2015
The Ropp has a vulcanite stem, and does need refreshing with Obsidiian oil from time to time as it is old... that's why it is very dull and foggy.

Reactions: aquadoc

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Nicely designed pipes, both of them, lithe but with sufficient bowls. Nifty.

daddydale52

Lurker
Jun 25, 2017
I have a #262 in the Fantasy finish that I got in the very early 70’s as one of my first pipes. Diebel’s here in KC had a number of them in different finishes, and I wish I had concentrated my collecting on them. There is also an outfit out of Texas that has posted several estates for sale on eBay. All my different Conquests seem to be my very best smokers, and I’ve often wondered weather the briar used in them was specially selected.

Status
Not open for further replies.