PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

daxp

Lurker
Jul 23, 2013
I wanted to be able to smoke inside without having to deal with the smell, so I started to look into getting an air purifier. Most of them are terribly expensive, but I found a pretty cheap way to stop the smell! I got a smoke exterminator candle and a Hamilton Beach air purifier/filter. The two together were about $36.
So, I got them today and I tested them out. I lit the candle, turned the air filter on the low setting, and lit my pipe. Smoked for about an hour or so, and left the candle lit and the unit on for about 10 or 15 minutes after that to remove any residual smell. I left my room for a moment to let my nose kind of forget about the odor, and when I came back I could not smell any tobacco. My brother got home after that, and I asked him if he could smell anything, and he could not. This was about 15 or 20 minutes after smoking for an hour in an average sized room!
The only complaint I have is that the fan in the air filter did start rattling, but that was fixed by taking it out and spraying some WD-40. Took a minute or two to do that, and now it's virtually silent. On high it's still quieter than a desk fan is on low.
Anyway, I'm not sure if any of you guys even want to smoke indoors, but this is a pretty great option if you do! I hate dealing with the bugs and heat where I am, so this is a great option for me. Oh, and I'm using the standard filters that came with the air filter. I think there are some made specifically for tobacco, but I think the normal ones work fine. You're supposed to replace them every three months, but I have a feeling they'll last much longer if it's only on while you're smoking.
If you have any questions about the filter or the candle just ask away. So far I've smoked a couple aromatics and a few different Virginas and English blends, and it's taken away the odor from all of them. Also, I'm sorry if this sounds kinda spammy, I just really wanted to share my find with other smokers in case they're looking for a way to smoke indoors without bothering anyone else in the house. Or bothering the smoker, too. As much as I love smoking I don't want my house to smell like tobacco all the time!

roadqueen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 9, 2013
I may be in the minority but...
I love the room note of pipe smoke. I smoke inside my house for the express purpose of trying to make it smell like pipe smoke, but so far it's not worked. I can't get that wonderful smell to linger more than a few minutes. :crying:

dervis

Lifer
Jan 30, 2012
Hazel Green AL
I agree with Mrs. Roadqueen. I enjoy the room note and smell of the pipe smoke lingering albeit shortly in my house. Good thing is about the time I can’t smell it anymore it’s time to light up again.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
I smoke indoors, but prefer outdoors just because it feels better to be outside. Since I smoke aros there's no complaints from my wife.

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
Daxp: I am interested, but I read some reviews of both the Hamilton Beach odor eliminator which said it is not being made anymore and Amazon is trying to sell its stock out. And then I read that the filters are not only expensive, but some of them made for the product don't actually work.
Then I read about the candle. Some reviews said it didn't work to remove smoke, others said it did.
Hard to know which way to jump here. Could you tell me a little more of your experience. I'd love to smoke inside with fall and winter coming on here in Tennessee, but my wife will have a hissy fit if I do and she smells the least bit of pipe smoke.
Thanks

rockymtnsmoker

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
In the same boat as Tenn. A few months away from -30 C and long to be able to enjoy a pipe indoors without having the Mrs go batshit.

msandoval858

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
I'm one of those that refuses to smoke outside. I hate wind or breeze when I'm smoking as I feel it detracts from the flavor and experience. Thankfully my wife doesn't mind pipes so after the kids are in bed I can smoke indoors. The garage is also my other spot however being in Texas, that's impossible in the summer months.

daxp

Lurker
Jul 23, 2013
Metalmilitia: I'm probably 2 or 3 feet away from the filter. Maybe a little more, I'm not sure.
Roadqueen/Dervis: And I like the room note as well. I like it ALOT. Unfortunately the smell kind of spreads out in my house, even with doors closed, and everyone else in the house hates it. So it's this or nothing for smoking inside!
Plateauguy: I still enjoy smoking outdoors some, but not on particularly hot or cold days. Unfortunately my housemates don't even like the smell of aros, so I had to find another option.
Tennsmoker/RockyMtsmoker: I saw the review about it not being made anymore, but I don't think that's the case. A quick search on Amazon pulls up several filters that even show the product on the box, so they should work. Plus they still sell them on the Hamilton Beach website and the Walmart website, so I doubt it's discontinued. The filters I've seen on amazon (like this 3 pack) are $13 and last 3 months. Not cheap, but not expensive either. As for the candle, I do think it helps to at least mask the scent of the smoke while the filter does its job. I don't think I'd try using just the candle alone, though.
As for my experience, so far the only time someone has known I was smoking/had smoked was the time my brother walked into the room with my pipe in my mouth. Even then he claimed he could barely smell it, so I'd say it works fantastically. You might be able to return the filter (not sure on Amazons return process) if you aren't satisfied, but you'll probably be stuck with the candle if you use it and don't like it.
Msandoval858: Smoking outside can be pretty nice sometimes. One of my favorite smoking experiences is to go out while it's raining, or maybe a light storm (nothing too bad, though), and read a book while smoking. As long as the wind doesn't pick up too much I'll stay dry, and I love the rain. But I do like smoking indoors more overall.

terrygoldman123

Can't Leave
Jun 2, 2013
Virginia
I'm in the camp with Roadqueen. I smoke indoors all the time and enjoy the room notes from the various tobaccos blends. I smoke outside and in the car as well. In fact, It is time to have a bowlful and get back to my latest novel. Peace to all.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I smoke indoors- a lot. If my wife were to see your post she would be running off to Wally World to buy a dozen of those candles and air purifiers!!

It hasn't occurred to her to do that-yet.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
I'm going to smoke inside some day when I get rid of my family. Until then I'll have to go outside ...

inteus

Might Stick Around
Sep 8, 2013
SF Bay Area, CA
I would smoke in my home office if I didn't have pets and room mates. 2 room mates, 4 cats, one love bird. I worry more about the bird with the smoke than the cats and room mates though. :)

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I puff away in my shop and I just leave both windows open and turn on a regular fan to help vent the room. If there are several of us in there smoking I have a built in exhaust fan I can also use to vent the room. It works pretty. When I have a cigar the wife usually notices but if I have a pipe she never says anything. I think she likes the aroma of the pipe but does not want to admit it.

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
Well, daxp I'm with 7ach. I'm convinced and I'm going to give it a try. I'll let you know how it comes out. My wife has the best nose in the business, though.
I fear, however, that I'll be outed and then really outside.

Aug 14, 2012
I'm with Roadqueen on this one. I like the smell of pipe tobacco. The deal with the wife is this: smoking will be ok on the ground floor of the new house, but not upstairs in the bedrooms. Though actually I prefer the taste of a pipe smoked outdoors, and for this there is a front porch and back deck.

Status
Not open for further replies.