PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

terrygoldman123

Can't Leave
Jun 2, 2013
Virginia
Well, I've managed to make it 66 years on the planet and never used a crock pot to cook meals. But today, I went the distance and purchased a $20 unit at Walmart.

Now what?
I need recipes and suggestions for everything from soup to nuts. I'd appreciate your input either way. A good purchase or bad. Specialty items to cook as winter is

coming on and I'd love to have some "crocks."

boudreaux

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2013
There is always allrecipes.com and a million others. Just Google "best crockpot recipes." Maybe when Google sees "crockpot," you'll also be returned name and address of several congressman. :P

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
My wife uses ours (hers) alot and things turn out great. Stews, chili and tons of other stuff. They really work well and since I'm not involved in the process that's even better. Good luck and happy dining.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Meat, Veggies, Water, spices, and cook. We particularly like a Beef or Pork roast, lots of onions and garlic, some italian herbs, mushrooms and sweet potatoes, peal on. Delicious!

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
It's been a long time since I used a crock pot, but if I recall correctly, the dishes can turn out unusually greasy unless you take care to limit

the fat content of the meat. Great for cheap cuts of meat though. Try lamb, okra and canned whole tomatoes with Mediterranean spices.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
I don't know if this is allowed here or not..When I need recipes my favorite site is allrecipes.com.If you go there click on recipes.Some pictures will come up.One will be listed slow cooker.Click on it and scroll down.You will find bunches of recipes..I apologize if I wasn't supposed to do this.

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
I am a huge grilled chicken fan. However, beef, potatoes, carrots, and onions marry nicely in a crock pot.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
Cut up some apples and toss them in with sugar and spices. That will make the kitchen smell wonderful.
Winton

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
OK, so I floated this by "She Who Must Be Obeyed", who is a great cook, and she says allrecipes.com is THE place to go. So, since itis Barbara approved you can't go wrong. Crock on. terry.

av8scuba

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2013
Mid-Missouri
@wintom - you beat me to it. My wife makes her apple butter in it. Apples, cinnamon, brown sugar. Then she cans it in Mason jars. Yum yum.

av8scuba

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2013
Mid-Missouri
@winton - you beat me to it. My wife makes her apple butter in it. Apples, cinnamon, brown sugar. Then she cans it in Mason jars. Yum yum.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
+1 allrecipes.com per my wife.
My wife does country spareribs in it - no pre browning, just season well, pour Italian dressing over them. Cover and cook the crap out of them (my description, not hers). She does apple butter in it too. Good Luck!

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
We got a crock pot for our wedding (nearly 25 years ago) and thought we'd never use it. We're on our third one now... :D
One of the best recipe books we've found is "Slow Cooker Revolution", published by America's Test Kitchen (we found our copy at Costco - along with vol. 2 just last week). Our tastes run a little spicier than the folks up in Vermont, so be ready to adjust recipes that actually call for spices.
Besides that, one of our favorite things to do in the slow cooker (since I don't have a smoker) is to cook a 6# pork shoulder with a tablespoon of black Hawaiian sea salt, a tablespoon of red Hawaiian sea salt, and a teaspoon or two of liquid smoke. Let it sit for several hours until it falls apart when you poke it with a fork, then shred it and eat it - on a bun, on some rice, in a burrito... wherever smoked pork sounds good.

Status
Not open for further replies.