PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Since I recently purchased my first calabash shaped pipe (a Butz Choquin Maitre Pipier Deluxe hand made) I have become quite attached to the shape. I spied this 'Made In Holland' Big Ben 940 octagonal pipe on Ebay last week and decided it would sit nicely on my rack aside the BC so put in a bid. I won the auction and it arrived on Saturday. To say I am delighted with it would be an understatement, it really is a corker. The only let down is that it is a 9mm filter pipe. I have three such pipes now and they all have to share the adapter I made so perhaps I might splash out and invest in some proper adapters :wink:
Despite having roughly the same external dimensions as the BC, the inner bowl is considerably smaller being steeply conical. The BC will smoke for almost two hours, this Big Ben for a good hour which suits me fine.
A quick buff up of the brass rings on the stem and a couple of coats of Carnauba wax applied to the bowl via the wheel is all that was required to bring this beauty to life. I hunted around the internet looking for another pipe of this design but came up with zilch so possibly only a short run? I shouldn't imagine it was an easy pipe to create.
6x20-600x400.jpg

7x20-600x400.jpg

8x17-600x400.jpg

9x14-600x400.jpg

10x11-600x400.jpg

11x8-600x400.jpg

The black spot on the bowl in the third picture is a singe mark from a cigarette or cigar and is not a burn through.
Regards,
Jay.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
The overall look of the pipe is nicely balanced -- the shank and stem in good proportion to the bowl. I like the elegance of the rounded-over rim; but what grabs me most are the smooth transitions from the panels to the shank, a feature that I would never tire of admiring. Thanks for posting all the pictures. :clap:

tozert

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 26, 2017
Cornwall
I really like that pipe! I'll just save a picture of it and add it to my list of shapes to make!

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Cortez, you got it right with "elegance", in my opinion this particular pipe is the epitome of elegance.
Paul, if you ever do make one please be sure to post it on here. Out of interest, do you think this was machine made or hand made? It was advertised as being a 'freehand' (which I always understand to mean hand made) but there is no such stamp on the pipe.
Ben, a balsa insert would act as a filter and I don't like them, I prefer to use an adapter for an 'undiluted' smoke.
John, I didn't bother with before pictures as there wasn't much work to be done though the inner rim was considerably darker than it is now. Spit and a tissue sorted that out :puffy:
BTW it is a great smoker, am smoking it now with some Beacon...lovely stuff.
Regards,
Jay.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Jay, search under Hilson and Gubbels pipe brands. Big Ben bought their name and rights, and shares many of the same shapes.

tozert

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 26, 2017
Cornwall
Jay, I think it was shaped by hand. I've never seen a machine made pipe that could handle panels, but I could be wrong. The transition from panels to round shank is fabulous work on that pipe.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It has plenty of drama but also (unlike most dramatic pipes) substantial bearing. I have a straight churchwarden Big Ben Lectura I like a lot. It's a good brand.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
It is intriguing, and quite lovely.
Jay-
The few filter pipes I have I find smoking without a filter no problem, no adaptor. I just tamp a touch harder.
[OT] I autorecord billiiards, pool, snooker, but the recording I've just put on has the finals of the 2017 "World Matchplay" (QF) of a darts match. Lots of cheering and booing, hall is filled with fanatics! Mr. Taylor is hosing his opponent. And he just hit a triple triple 20....

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"I'll just save a picture of it and add it to my list of shapes to make."
Paul, should you ever want a closer look at the pipe just let me know and I'll post it up to you.
Thanks Duane, I looked for a Hilson shape 940 but alas found nothing. I did however find a similar looking pipe by Mark Tinsky, but that was hideously expensive 8O
Regards,
Jay.

Status
Not open for further replies.