PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
ashdigger and other Forums friends sent me a rare and beautiful item, a direct connection to my Forums user name. 'digger let me know something was on the way, but I had no idea. It really stopped me cold. After some Forums discussion about US Navy ship lighters, I joked about how my minesweeper, USS Gallant, wouldn't have a lighter because the customer base wasn't big enough (about 70 crew members at once, though perhaps a few thousand over many years). Well, ashdigger has his sources, and other Forums friends chipped in, and wow, I was amazed to receive a USS Gallant crest emblazoned lighter along with a tin of my favorite Mac Barens HH Latakia Flake.
Let me back up and point out that the ship was commissioned in the 1950's, hull built of Washington Spruce (to not attract magnetic mines). I served on it during the Vietnam War in the South China Sea up near the DMZ (so-called demilitarized zone) with a hospital ship and a carrier in Operation Market Time. We did patrol, weather, recon, and some junk chasing. Also some sonar searches for downed C2-A cargo aircraft. Eventually I transferred off, served on Midway Island for a while, Milwaukee recruiting for a few months, then off to school and back to civilian life.
Years later when the first Persian Gulf War started, watching CBS, there was USS Gallant featured, with crew members being interviewed on the outbreak of war. Some time later in the 1990's, the ship was decommissioned, and not long after, sold to Taiwan and renamed for use by their navy. So now I have this rare and beautiful lighter carrying the ship's crest of this historical vessel. Many many thanks for this kind and generous effort to bring this great item my way. It's one of my treasures, all the more for being a long-since afterglow of my good old typhoon rocked USS Gallant! Photos to follow as/if possible.

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
That is an amazing gift! I have brass Zippos from both of my ships when I was in the Navy and they are amongst my most treasured possessions. Simply an outstanding gift to a former Navy man. Bravo Zulu to all involved!

elpfeife

Lifer
Dec 25, 2013
Very thoughtful and generous, especially for a straight pipe weirdo like Ashdigger! :clap:

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

Thoughtful, generous, and kind indeed. :clap:

josephcross

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2015
Indeed! A very thoughtful and generous gesture. Ive got a couple tins of HH Latakia Flake that ive been curious to smoke, but have so many open tins already.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I was totally stoked to do this, but I did not do this alone. I had help from a few other great members. I was essentially the shipping department. I hope they chime in. And to be honest I didn't think we'd pull it off, but man am I happy we did.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Ain't it beautiful?! The lighter and the ship. It had four Packard diesels. While I was aboard, the main battery was a mortar ... you have to think about that for a minute. That's a trajectory weapon fired off a nearly always rolling deck. This little handful of flame brings back a world of memories. Haircuts on the fantail. Pretty good food considering it all came out of the freezer and the kitchen (galley) was in motion. Thank you again so much gents.

Status
Not open for further replies.