PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jndyer

Lifer
Jul 1, 2012
Central Oregon
A quick question, has congress passed a law raising the tax on pipe tobacco? I know there is a lot of talk about pipe tobacco taxes going up at the beginning of 2014, but is this a fear or a reality at this point?

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
The RYO disguised as pipe tobacco is certainly in the cross hairs. So by extension our blends are in jeopardy but I don't think an yting has been enacted yet. I curious to see what others have to say.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
IIRC, a lot of the speculation about prices going up had to do with the Affordable Health Care for America Act provisions that take effect in 2014. If it's in there, it's not a headline item - and from the issues discussed in last week's podcast, it sounds like there are bigger fish headed for the frying pan (FDA regulation for one).

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Excellent question jndyer. I am concerned about both the tobacco tax and the online sales tax - both of which will make buying tobacco the way we do today much more costly. I don't know how our friends in Australia do it.

pipebow88

Can't Leave
Jun 12, 2013
That was listed, but that did not pass congress. They didn't except that budget/bill. I think we're alright for a while.b

pipebow88

Can't Leave
Jun 12, 2013
I really hope it's not going to happen, but it is definately possible. If finances allow I'd like to have 10 pounds or so cellared in case. But I'm not sure that'll happen.

B

jndyer

Lifer
Jul 1, 2012
Central Oregon
My hope is that I have the next twelve months before any great increases. It is going to take me that long to start to build a good cellar of tobacco. I was really hoping that it was not going to be Jan. 1 because by that time I will probably only have a year and a half of stock built up.
Here's hoping that we avoid this for as long as possible. Of course we all want taxes to stay down for that amount of time. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.