PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brooklynpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2018
Considering I don't think I've ever had another plum-topped Virginia, how unique is the Yacht?

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
The Yacht is quite unique. Yours truly is a big fan, and stocking up on all I can get. I have been searching for a while in order to get something similar. I find the Irish Oak by Peterson to be ... not quite the same ball park, but from the same world, as in a va/per (instead of a straight Virginia) with faint plum hints - that's where the similarities stop. If you do manage to find a Royal Yacht substitute please let me know.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
I am in the “love it” camp. Especially aged a few years. I stocked up, but not deeply. It’s a treat for me and not an all day smoke. But knowing have enough going forward is reassuring because it is one blend I would miss not having. It’s like Reese’s Peanutbutter Cups for example, sometimes I have a hankering for them when my sweet tooth is turned on. Nothing compares to that sweet treat and it’s the only specific treat I want at the the time.
*RY is not “sweet” per se. I was just using candy as an example.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I would say it is very unique in that it is one of the only blends I can think of, off the top of my head, that is so polarizing. People either love it or hate it. I picked up a tin to cellar and to see what all the fuss is about one day.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I haven't tried a blend that is similar to RY. However Peterson's Perfect Plug gives me something similar, in that it is quite strong but smooth with a fruity topping. I haven't tried University Flake, but based on the descriptions, I am guessing it might too. But no, they are not similar.

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
Love the Yacht too - and Reese's Peanut Butter Cups. I agree though, I can't over indulge on either. The Yacht was a pleasant surprise for me recently and I came asking the same question as you. I just went ahead and grabbed several tins while it's still around and put them away.

University and Wallace have the same topping, but it seems to work better with the buley tobacco. In Royal Yacht, the same topping doesn't pair very well with the Empire Virginias that Dunhill uses, but the actual topping is the same. But the overall taste of these two tobaccos are different.

ignaciojn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2016
Thank you sir.
I like the cut and humidity of Royal Yacht very much. Has is something to do with these Empire Virginias?

brooklynpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2018
Vomit flavour? I didn't know I could replace it with GH&Co twist and parmesan shavings..

Status
Not open for further replies.