PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

timmy

Lurker
May 11, 2014
Hi all,
I'm new here so first let me say I'm happy to be here. I have been smoking for just over a year, so I still consider myself a novice when it comes to pipes. I have a question that has recently come up and I can't find anywhere that has specifically addressed what I'm concerned about.
So here it goes. Apologies if this gets lengthy or rambling. I live in an apartment complex. I live on the bottom floor. When I smoke I find that I tend to smoke my pipe way too fast. I find its because I am concerned about the fact that I can't find anywhere that I can smoke outside of my own apartment without smoke drifting in to a neighboring apartment either above or beside me. So I rush through what should be a relaxing event. Being responsible I try to avoid forcing my second hand smoke on anyone else. Here's my problem. If I want to smoke outside of my apartment I will invariably be blowing smoke in to the apartment of someone who, I assume, is not a smoker and likely hates the smell of smoke. If I smoke as slowly as I should I will only be prolonging their exposure (not in terms of volume of smoke but in terms of duration of the aroma). So what is the proper etiquette for a situation like this where it is all but impossible to avoid blowing smoke in to another persons apartment? I know I can always just leave and go somewhere else but that isn't the point of this question nor is it always practical for me. I hope I have made my question clear enough. If not I'll be happy to clarify if needed.
Thank you all. Again, I'm happy to be here.

metarzan

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 14, 2012
Welcome. Has anyone complained in the year you have been smoking? Nice of you (and a rarity) to be concerned about your neighbors these days. Maybe try to smoke a blend with a pleasing room note? Cigarette smoke would be bothersome to me but not enough that I would complain. Maybe I am biased but some pipe smoke has an almost incense like quality. Some smells like camel dung too. What blends do you lean towards? I have felt rushed for other reasons and ended up with a nice collection of smaller pipes, but nothing beats a big, slow bowl.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
I don't know, maybe ask your neighbors? Introduce yourself and try to be the nice guy about it, I guess. Do all your neighbors always have their windows/doors open? You could always go for a walk, weather permitting. If you live by yourself, smoke in the bathroom with the fan on. I have a family, but when they are all gone for an evening I'll sit in the bathtub and burn down a bowl with the fan on. Those are good time: peace and quiet, soaking in hot water and having a relaxing smoke inside.

Reactions: gkunkel
Jan 8, 2013
Where do you live? Is it one of the states like WA where AC isn't standard? Is it a close complex where you couldn't just walk a little ways away from the building? Oh, and what kind of tobacco are you smoking?
IMO, fu©k em. They can always close the windows. Your doing the right thing by smoking outdoors anyway. I applaud your attempts at courtesy, I really do. But hey, the window does go down. I'm sure someone else here will have quite a different view than me, but I say screw it.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Well my first inclination is to do what you want and don't worry. But since you seem like a very respectful and considerate person I'd suggest speaking to your neighbors. If they vehemently object then you need to make some hard decisions. I'm also assuming that you don't live in a place with stupid restrictions so it's about a great courtesy on your part. On the other hand you may be overly concerned about nothing.

Frankly, I'd just smoke my pipe and see what happens.

Good luck.

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
Welcome timmy! I'm guessing inside is not an option? If not, you don't know yet if you're offending your neighbors. If it were me, I'd put a sweet note on my neighbor's doors with your phone number, a short explanation about pipe smoke being more like potpourri or incense than like cigarette smoke, and say, if I ever bother you, call me and I'll stop.
Until you hear from them, it's only an assumption they won't like it. Maybe even include a small gift with the note, or just knock on their door and speak to them face to face. Let them smell a nice aromatic to show pipe smoke is nothing like cigarette smoke.
Welcome to the site bro, you've come to the right place :)

rangerearthpig

Jan 5, 2014
Welocome aboard! When I travel, if I am at all concerned about complaints, I select a blend with an exceptional room note....but then, I'm also not a hater or aros. I typically get positive comments from strangers. You might read the room note reviews, and give some of the higher scoring blends in that category a try.

timmy

Lurker
May 11, 2014
Wow thanks for the fast replies. I'll try to answer the points some of you brought up I regards to my neighbors, talking to them is an option. I live in a college town in pa, 90% of my neighbors tend to change every 6 months or so and in my building and the one right next to mine there are probably 50 or so renters in a dozen or so apartments. I think I might type something up to drop in mailboxes. As I don't feel like trying to figure out who moved, who stayed, who haven't I talked to, etc., every 6 months so the mailbox note might be a good middle ground. This transience is why I do make the assumption that they don't like tobacco smoke. I don't always meet my neighbors so it's safer to make that assumption than to assume that they won't mind. I haven't received any direct complaints but I have noticed some very pointed looks aimed my way when I'm out and often I hear windows closing or overhear complaints about the aroma (close buildings, you can most of what happens in an apartment when the windows are open). No one has said anything directly but it does appear to bother some of my current neighbors at least. You asked what I smoke. I smoke a blend called "buttered rum". I quite like the aroma and taste and friends of mine that smoke like it as well. I live in a complex of apartments, there are at least 3 other apartment complexes surrounding my own in a pretty residential area. And during the spring,summer and fall most people, myself included, tend to leave their windows open most of the time
I do like the idea of reading some reviews on room notes for blends. Its nothing that had crossed my mind. I'm definitely going to give that a try. It will give me the excuse to try new blends, I like that idea a lot.
You folks rock. I think you folks have it right on though. I'm going to smoke at my leisure. I won't worry too much unless it bothers someone enough that they actually say something directly to me. If that happens i will see what I can work out with that person. Thanks!

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Welcome timmy! I have to say that you've touched on a subject I've thought about a bit over the last 20 years or so. I lived in one of the first cities in the US that went smoke free in all public buildings. There was a lot of outcry about the effect it would have on businesses etc. The bottom line, everybody adapted. My feelings on smoking is that it is a right. Everyone should have the right to use tobacco products no matter what they are. It's your life, health and business. What nobody seems to address, is that with rights comes responsibilities. We have the right to smoke, but the responsibility to see that it doesn't have an effect on someone else's right to breath air that doesn't contain smoke. It's like having a business that makes a product. You have the right to have the business, but you have the responsibility not to pollute the water or air the others use. For this reason I seldom smoke away from home, and if I do, I try not to pollute the air that others are breathing. I know we don't like to think of our smoking as air pollution, but it is, and we have to be aware of that. No one seems to like to think about their responsibilities, but with freedom, we have to assume some responsibility. Yes we have the right to drive a car, but we have the responsibility to drive it safely, and not be a danger to others. Same with smoking, rights and responsibilities must be balanced.

I realize that most people think about their rights before anything else, but we need to think about the big picture.

I commend your awareness, and think you're on the right track, but you might go ahead with a casual smoke, and see if you get some feedback from your neighbors. Or you could ask your neighbors if they smell the smoke and if it bothers them. A little dialog might go a long ways, as they would see that you are aware of them and their rights too.

Good luck, and happy smoking..... :puffpipe:

Strike Anywhere

Can't Leave
Nov 9, 2011
Central United States
I applaud your level of respect but given the size of the community I wouldn't do the letter thing. I doubt you're the only smoker and I'm sure there is at least one person, probably more, that hasn't noticed your smoking but will raise a stink once they have "proof" someone is smoking near their apt. I would follow the advice to just enjoy your smoke then address the situation once/if someone actually complains. That day might never come. I lived in the dorms in college and they were all non-smoking. I would smoke in my room with the window cracked and a towel under the door. That being said, everyone knew I smoked and cod smell it... Even the RA, but they all enjoyed the novelty of it all. I was like the grandpa of the floor and even shared some of my baccy with guys that were curious.

nurseman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 8, 2014
I am forced to live in apartments and I go through the same issue. My building recently went to no smoking anywhere in the complex , patios , grass etc. So am now changing apartments once again ( at great cost to me between ridiculous security deposits and movers. ) Whatever you do don't smoke in the apartment as you will basically toss your security deposit away. Renters have lost most rights in recent years so even your outside smoking is probably putting you at risk for an eviction notice and a bad reference preventing you from getting another apartment. Never let you neighbors / landlord see you smoke or they will " smell smoke " in your apartment even if you are blameless. Another warning I will give you is to not leave smoking materials visible ( pipes or lighters) as that is enough " evidence" to evict. Most states have removed protections about advanced notice to enter ( in Wisconsin they cut the 24 hour notice rule to a phone call ) In a college town like mine and yours ( I assume) Management companies make a nice profit by evicting students and keeping security deposits since they usually have waiting lists and can flip the unit in a few days. Smokers are fewer and fewer so there is no economic reason to rent to them.
I would recommend you find a park nearby or a cigar bar in town.

kanaka95

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 2, 2014
welcome timmy.I think its a good thing that you respect your neighbors.I also think that no matter what you do someone will complain.That's how it usually is in complexes.I have lived in apartments all my life and its always the same.I think maybe talking to the surrounding neighbors next to you and above might work.But don't expect miracles.I would continue to enjoy my pipe.If they have a problem im sure they'll let you know.Happy puffs.

Aug 14, 2012
It is good to be considerate of others, but not to the point that it ruins your own enjoyment of life. I would not leave notes or knock on doors. Just smoke and enjoy it. If there are complaints that is the time to think about it. Do they ask you before they pollute your air with diesel fumes or your water with flammables from fracking? Are you consulted before people buy noisy dogs or use air hammers in the street?

apatim

Can't Leave
Feb 17, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
Lots of sound advice already given. Like others, I commend your desire to not offend your neighbors but let's face it, there are some who are simply offended by anything and everything. Are they truly "offended"? I doubt it... most are just busy-bodies if you get right down to it.
Respect the rules and regulations of your community (apartment complex and/or city ordinances) and then enjoy your liberty and live in pursuit of happiness.
Obviously, don't smoke right outside someone's open window but if you are in an open area and someone doesn't like the smell of the smoke they are free to move to another location or close their window or whatever they feel necessary to make themselves happy.
Enjoy your hobby! :puffy:

necron99

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 4, 2014
Get an air machine or a smokless ashtray or a negative air machine and even just a personal fan will fix ya right up.
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/54043264252983252/
something like this .

msandoval858

Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
I wouldn't worry too much about it. Maybe the air cleaner suggestion for you own piece of mind wouldn't be a bad idea. Aside from that, it's most likely that your neighbors won't even notice or care. Going around and soliciting feedback could likely result in inviting criticism you otherwise would have never received had you said nothing.
I had a friend that used to live in an apartment complex. I'd often hang out at his place and smoke cigars. We'd get the air so dense with smoke that you'd have to wade through the fog to find the way back to the kitchen for another beer. Nobody ever said a thing

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
Another thing you can do is smoke in the bathroom with the exhaust fan on, then run the shower on full hot for a while. The humidity clears out smoke smells. Also maybe add the smoker's candles and/or negative air machines as suggested.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
By inclination I agree with the poster who said "f**k 'em; but my training tells me that everyone's opinion is important, and thus polling those who might be bothered by secondhand smoke is the better way. People have become contentious about secondhand smoke and feel that no smoke is the best option even if pipe smoke has a much better aroma than cigarettes or cigars. In the end you have to live with everybody.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Speaking as a reformed anti-smoker myself, I used to live in an apartment directly over a pair of smokers (they smoked cigarettes, for the record), and while I personally found the smell obnoxious, I was perfectly capable of shutting the window if it annoyed me to that level. I never bothered to complain, as there were far worse things going on in that neighborhood than a little tobacco smoke, honestly. Plus, as noted, it was their decision - and I could mitigate any potential irritation or damage simply by closing my own window.
Good on you for considering your neighbors' reactions - but I wouldn't worry overmuch about it. If there'a a park bench or something a little further from the building, you might consider sitting there, or as suggested earlier, take a walk (there's even a verb for taking a walk while smoking - "lunting").

Status
Not open for further replies.