PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
I have a zippo pipe lighter but I struggle to draw the flame down to the tobacco unless the lighter is very close to the rim of the pipe.

This worries me that I might burn/char the rim.I therefore keep returning to my old boy lighter but in windy conditions thats a problem.

What am I doing wrong?

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
That's why I quit using mine the first week I had it. You can trim the wick and tame the flame somewhat, but it just isn't the right tool for the job compared to a butane flame, or a match. In my opinion.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Pull the wick up until the tip is just above the windproof chimney. It's a modification that used to be on the instruction sheet that came with zippos years ago, but has long since been omitted.

oldmansmoking

Part of the Furniture Now
May 13, 2017
UK
Never have a problem, and use nothing but the standard Zippo. Unless outdoors with a lot of wind and the lighter has just been filled up.

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
+1 on what Stan said!
But I also like what chasingembers said, will pull mine out of the moth balls and try that trick.

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
thanks for the advice guys,I will try pulling the wick up a bit.I have tried sucking harder but still the tobacco seems hard to light,I need to suck hard and for a long time especially when relighting a part bowl.I dont have that problem with the old boy but that is no good in a windy situation.

Warren I do already wet the rim ,thanks for suggesting it though

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
@pappymac

I bought a vector insert from USA(quite expensive with international shipping) and it lasted about 5 minutes before the thing started loosing gas.Needless to say wont be buying that again :D
I usually use my old boy lighter but outside I need to learn to use the zippo

Mar 1, 2014
The only way I can light a pipe with a Zippo is turning the pipes sideways and scorching the rim.

With my last bowl I used a triple flame butane Cigar lighter, which works wonders for fast lighting. I put a thin cake of honey and ash on the rim to help protect from the heat, but even then this strategy is probably not recemmended for any pipe that isn't considered disposable.
Trying to draw harder will burn my mouth more than anything else (that's still a chemical burn and not related to heat), lighting technique is absolutely critical for me since the skin in my mouth is too thin.

Status
Not open for further replies.