PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
We all know that smooth pipes are more expensive but it seems to me that a NICE quality blast takes more time.
Am I correct? Or just plain wrong.

wayneteipen

Can't Leave
May 7, 2012
A good sandblast doesn't necessarily take longer than a smooth. There's a lot of work involved in staining and polishing a smooth to a mirror finish and doing it well. A sandblast doesn't have to be sanded past 180 grit and staining and finishing is really easy. I would rather finish a sandblast far more than a smooth.

michail

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 7, 2015
Paros, Greece
Exactly as Wayne said above. Smooth pipes require far more detailed work on finishing in order to have good look, stain and shiny look. And we have to make a lot of experiments to see how to achieve it.
Blasts on the other hand are only require a few tries with 2-3 grits and pressure in order to find how it works, and then its easy.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Yep, what Wayne and Micail said !

I don't like a smooth finish nearly as much as a blast. It's so much more nitpicky and detailed. Even though smooths sell for so much more, I prefer finishing blasts. I mostly prefer smoking them too, so I am biased from the start really.

Status
Not open for further replies.