PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shawnofthedead

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 5, 2015
I like to go for a walk every so often, and I do like to smoke a pipe as I walk. Unfortunately the place I live in is always a little windy, so the tobacco burns fast and my pipe burns hot. I have a few different types of wind caps, they have two metal bits on the inside that hold tightly to the inside of the bowl with the help of a spring. The spring is pretty strong, so I'm a bit afraid to use them lest they damage the rim or the inside of my pipe. Now is this likely? Can these caps be bad for the pipe if used too often?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I have a couple that were puchased from SPC, and have had no pipe damaging issues. Just make sure when removing them, to pull them straight out as twisting them may score your cake.

shawnofthedead

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 5, 2015
I have noticed the metal bits tend to be quite thin and sharp (just my opinion), scoring the cake is one thing, but what if the pipe barely has any cake near the top?

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
I have 2 wind caps and also have never damaged any of my pipes. I took one of the caps and coated it with silicone. I use it to snuff out the bowl when I want to come back to the bowl later. Works great if your out and about and need to put the bowl out quickly for various reasons.

Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
Huh... I've been wondering how effective these caps are, might pick one up as its a pain at times to smoke when theres any semblance of a strong breeze blowing.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Lucky man am I as I have a virtually unlimited supply of free wind caps in the form of almond hulls (not shells, too small, too rigid). The clip in kind don't block enough breeze, as it really whistles here a lot of the time.
If used with a minimum of care, the clip ins should cause no damage.
Happy smoking!

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I've used them for years with no noticeable damage to either pipe or cake. I often work in the wind and the caps keep the light uniform, no hot spots, and the burn temp down. I keep a couple in the truck and the photo gear bags as I do misplace them. They seem to gather around the pipe racks once they find their way home.

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
Since acquiring a dog, of the walking variety, several months back, my Saturday night routine has been to take her for a walk over to the local taproom for a couple of pints and then return home. I have found this is a wonderful time to smoke my pipe. I have also found the spring loaded wind caps to be a necessity. The pipe still tends to burn fast and a little hot, but the cap helps a bit and it also keeps hot ash from flying out and into my face, it gets pretty breezy here.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I wouldn't smoke your most treasured pipes in the wind. A good moderate priced briar will do the trick, and once consigned to wind-duty, with a wind cap to slow the burn, the thing will probably outlive you and every other pipe you ever saw -- just to reinforce life's irony.

smokinfireman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 17, 2015
I agree with mso. Quality pipes are for quiet sunsets on the deck with a drink, not a walk in the windy woods or anything of that ilk. I mainly smoke my brylons outside, sometimes a briar or cob in the woodshop. As for damage, I would not worry about that. The metal tabs on the windcap will not harm your bowl, but may slighty erode your cake. Consider buying a cob and using the nail-on type that nails around the rim of the pipe with shoe-type nails if you're wanting a hard working outside pipe. Just this dude's two cents.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't own one, but I guess Brylon pipes would make durable smokers in the wind. The only downside might be their somewhat heavier weight than briar, for clenching while walking. Most pipes that remain on the market have particular strengths. I used to think that small pipes were toys and souvenirs until fishnbanjo gave a pitch for them. I bought one, and then several more, and they are perfect for short smokes, flake tobacco, sampling at pipe shows, and other uses. Likewise a few extra large pipes are good to have, when you want a long smoke, uninterrupted or over various pauses and relights, when that's desired. The erstwhile scorned Brylon may claim its place on pipe racks yet. For some Forums members, it already has. A Brylon with a windcap, hmmm. Maybe a small one to keep the weight down.

griffonwing

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2014
Omaha AR
In place of a wind cap, I use a dime or a penny. Its quicker and cheaper. Simply set the dim or penny on top of the tobacco. There is enough room for air to pass around, but the flatness also keeps the wind from flaring the embers.
And if you want to create your own, just get a penny and a hammer. Heat up the coin, hammer flat, and work it around to fit. Drill a few tiny holes and you're golden.

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
The only downside might be their somewhat heavier weight than briar
Yep, I can't clench the straight apple Brylon and still walk. I have to use the full bent and let some of the weight rest against my chin. It is tolerable that way, but still a touch heavy. I use a Softee bit on the end and it lets me hold it a little more firmly between my teeth.
I have two Brylon pipes and they smoke hot enough inside the house
THIS is the other reason why I actually tend to avoid smoking the Brylon in the wind and just go with a briar and windcap and try to be gentle with my smoking pace.

Status
Not open for further replies.