PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I just got in this order from Smoking Pipes, which consists of Heinrich's Curly Block, Heinrich's Reserve Crue #2, and Heinrich's Curly Special.
3vbVQ96.jpg

What I found curious is that the image on Smoking Pipes site for Curly Block shows a single long length of the block, but what I received was a pile of chunks and a short end.
Zv6wcl4.jpg

I suppose that it will smoke just as well but I'm curious to know if anyone else has received this blend in chunks. It's also interesting that the color and texture varies among the chunks, probably batch differences.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I'm sorry, I don't have an answer to your question but I was toying with the idea of getting one of those for myself and I was wondering how thick the twists are? Can ya cut it with a cigar cutter? Looks like a much bigger gauge than what would fit in a cigar cutter.
That is strange though, I thought it would come as one big roll. Part of the appeal in my opinion. In the end, I'll probably pass as I can't really see spending $80 on a VaPer that I've never tried before. I mean, can it really be that much better than St. James Flake?

cossackjack

Lifer
Oct 31, 2014
Evergreen, Colorado
Jesse, I've received two 250 gm logs, one last week & the first was about 8 months ago - both were single intact full logs. As noted above, yours are probably end-cuts, which should weigh 250 gm or perhaps more & I would expect to smoke just as well as the full logs. Though, with more exposed surface area they may age a little differently.

Their appearance is otherwise like my full logs.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Thanks everyone for the responses. Evidently it's not common. Like I wrote, it will probably smoke just as well. It will certainly be a bit easier to jar up.
hawky, the twist is about 1 1/2" in diameter, so probably too wide for a cigar cutter. But this is also one of the densest tobacs that I've encountered. It might very well break a guillotine.
Curly Block is an absolutely delicious blend, which is why I was watching for it to reappear. Pricey, but well worth it to me. Tight packed as Curly Block is, I'll get a lot of nice long slow smokes from it. As to whether it's better than St James Flake, that's up to the individual smoker. Jiminks told me that it reminded him of Murray's Era Dunhill Navy Rolls (I think it was Navy Rolls), a bit deeper and richer in flavor than the current product.

josephcross

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2015
Id love to order one of those, but am a bit scared to see what the duty would be on one of those logs of awesomness.

Dec 24, 2012
Sable, I just got four more of these in and two of those were much like yours. I was a bit surprised since all my prior orders were a single log but, hey, I would guess it smokes just as well.
For the record, this is terrible stuff and I would encourage everyone to avoid it.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Smoking Pipes still has a few in stock if you're still considering.

I know, I saw that. I have to wait until Friday though... which on an unrelated note, I was pretty damn upset when I saw that SG Kendal Plug sold out and I was able to see that they had 70 of the 250 grams boxes in stock yesterday. I thought surely that will last until Friday... NOPE! Much to my chagrin, they sold all 70 boxes of the plug overnight. That just goes to show ya that we want our plug tobaccos in America and hopefully the distributors are taking note.
So who here bought some of the Kendal Plug stash? Just curious.
Sable, I just got four more of these in and two of those were much like yours. I was a bit surprised since all my prior orders were a single log but, hey, I would guess it smokes just as well.

Was it you, Peck? I saw those pictures of your cellar! You are hoarding way too much tobacco hombre, how 'bout saving some for the rest of us street rats. :nana:
I imagine you all cut these ropes like a plug, eh? I've never seen such a thick twist.

dcrguns

Aug 19, 2013
Ruidoso, NM
Just got some Curly Block in from SP and it looks just like yours Sable. I too was expecting a long uncut log. I am sure it will smoke fine though.

stvalentine

Jan 13, 2015
Northern Germany
Even the Motzek Strang came with a few "short end" and I suppose this is about delivering the exact weight. As we say here in Germany "everything has an end only the sausage has two"! :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.