PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

futureman

Can't Leave
Jul 9, 2011
Ohio (Displaced Central Texan)
I'm very interested in trying this blend, but would like to know whether red Virginia is a dominant ingredient. I've found that too much red Virginia can be a real irritant for me, at least in some RV-dominant blends (Rattray's more famous blends are tolerable for me, as is H&H Anniversary Kake, all though I cannot smoke them all day).

quincy

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2013
This is one of the most amazing blend. It totally transforms as you smoke it. Very complex. For me, when I start the bowl the rummy, plum, raisin taste comes out and by the bottom of the bowl it seems that the perique becomes more forward. It's amazing. I think you'll really like it.

It's going to depend on how sensitive you are. I can't say for sure how red the Va is by looking or tasting, as the Va takes a backseat, taste-wise, in this blend. But, as much as I love Haddos (and I do get in the mood to just eat the stuff) it probably won't ever be an all day smoker for me. I will preface this by saying that I have not explored the whole entire world of perique blends, but for me, this comes in second to just smoking straight perique. It's a pow to the taste buds.
If you don't get an opportunity to sample a bowl before-hand, it is definitely worth the cost to just buy a tin to try. If it doesn't work out for you, you may grow into it. I started out burning the heck out of my tongue on Vas. However, the taste kept me coming back to different brands and blends. I even cracked my tongue to where I had to take a break from any smoking for a week. But, then one day, I just found a blend, Astley's 109, and it worked. And, miraculously, I can smoke any old Virginia now. I don't swear that the 109 was the key, but I think that I just grew into it. Maybe cadence, or being more careful, or keeping hydrated, I can't say. But, Haddos Delight is a mainstay in my cabinet. I just love the puckery, spiciness of it.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
I've only smoked one tin of Haddo's and a few bowls of AK, but I didn't notice the reds being more forward then the AK.
I cannot smoke Haddo's all day though. I did enjoy it. Depending on where your at in the bowl it tastes like yeasty bread, a bit of stewed peppers, over ripe plums, and white pepper. I definitely like it in the morning and it tasted really good on damp fall days.
I had my "Ah Ha!" moment with it one day at work sitting along the backside of a lagoon. this blend really has some layers to it when you start playing around with your cadence on your sips and puffs.

Jul 15, 2011
Been a while since I smoked Haddos, but all of GL Peases creations are blended by Cornell and Diehl, and almost all of their blends are very Red Virginia forward. Im thinking it leans a little higher to the Perique side, and there is some burley in this blend (Kentucky I think, don't quote me on it though). If you are averse to Red Virginia, it's a fair bet that there is plenty of it in this one. I say proceed with caution, but you should still try it as it is one amazing smoke, not an every day for me, but great to have when the craving hits. Very sweet, fig like raisin flavors that blooms into a very wine like, sort of sharp, very dense smoke, very mouth coating, and a great nicotine hit.

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
If you don't get an opportunity to sample a bowl before-hand, it is definitely worth the cost to just buy a tin to try.

This is absolutely correct. This tobacco is in my top 5.

mustanggt

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 6, 2012
I have found that I can't take the red VA. on my pallet very well. I don't have an allergic reaction to them as some do but not to my taste. Having said that though Haddos does not affect my taste except to make my mouth happy!!! :mrgreen: Go for it!!!

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
It's a riot of flavor! But for that very reason, it's not an all day smoke.

I recommend you try it; and if it bothers you, jar it and save it for another day.

planetary

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 4, 2012
SF Bay Area
If you don't get an opportunity to sample a bowl before-hand, it is definitely worth the cost to just buy a tin to try. If it doesn't work out for you, you may grow into it.
I'll also agree with this, and note that it's possible for the tobacco -- with some age -- to grow into you, as well. A tin that's a few months old contains something quite different than a tin with a few years on it.

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
Haddo's is one of my favorites. Just jarred up another pound. The 16oz. is the way to go price wise and be ready for one huge pile of tobacco. It ages well as with all Pease and to be fair, most blends struggling to meet demands forced to use a lot of young leaf. I received a one year old tin and compared to the fresh, the bright young leaf has mellowed into a wonderful blend. The Perique gains more of the fruity plum in the beginning due to the Bright's sitting down. Then by the middle bowl the peppery goodness starts coming in and makes for a wonderful changing smoke. By spring it will be nothing but one plus year in the bowls, also looking forward to those in my five year boxes. The fresh is still a powerful blend with one of the best tin notes I've experienced. Then get it in the cellar as it will deliver. I've been putting 3oz. in 8oz. mason jars. Normally you would think 4oz. would be the fill but that's too tight. It needs to breath and have the 1/2" at the top. IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.